Wednesday, June 30, 2010

greenheads


The nasty greenhead.

Tabanus nigrovittatus.

Those Essex county nasties are out a week early feasting on the next red blooded sucker that walks by.

In the Salisbury area, they come out from July 13-Aug 2. I've made a note of it for the last five years. Some years, they are worst than other years. I think it depends on the weather patterns.

I could "smell "them by the marshy areas in Salisbury.

That distinct greenhead smell.

When I took my motorcycle from Maynard up to Hampton beach there was this stretch on route 1 in Rowley that greenheads were bad. You could smell them first and then, "PING PING PING PING!" They would be bouncing off my helmet and sunglasses like little bullets. I must have eaten a hundred of them in that area.

I walked Mattie in the woods to avoid the blasting sun over by the Seabrook power plant. In some spots where I walked, my arms were covered by greenheads.It looked like a had green and white gauzy long sleeve shirt on. It was weird though because it was just in certain spots on the walk that the greenies invaded.

I just couldn't deal with the blasting peircing sun so I dealt with the greenheads and ticks instead.

Their mouths up close are little serrated bottle caps that slice you to get at your blood. They are tenacious little bastards too. If you think you can drown them by dunking in the water you might as well forget it. They cling to you.

Their body is pretty strong too. You have to really hit them hard to squish them.

However, thankfully Purple martins eat them. You will see purple martin nestboxes in Plum Island. The only other way of controlling the greenheads is these environmental friendly black boxes set up in the marshes. The greenheads go in and can't get out.

Ah the greenhead...

3 comments:

  1. Are those pictures of deceased greenheads from your own camera? They aren't very squished. Maybe they died from drinking your blood :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo is from a internet search.
    I actually had a 'live one" flying around my garage that I tried to photograph. He just refused to sit and pose :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Horrible creatures. Like mosquitoes, it makes me wonder...Why Greenheads? Why?

    ReplyDelete