Sunday, June 13, 2010

dive# 791 & 792 June 12 2010


June 12 2010 Dive #791 Cathedral rocks
It was an overcast misty on & off rainy day. I didn't mind. I don't mind the cool temps especially since I had to get into my dry suit. If the sun was blasting I don't think I could get into the dry suit without overheating big time. This may be the last weekend for the dry suit for the summer.
The Connecticut crew came up north for some diving. Keven, Lindsley and the Hatches. I always enjoy seeing Kevin and Lindsley. Lindsley is one cool strong confident lady. If I had to go on that show "survivor" I would want her to be my partner.
Pete said the water temp was over 52F.
It was.
At the surface.
The "O" ring on my tank valve was faulty despite having it just recently replaced so I had to use one of Pete's little "minis". It had 3000psi in it so I figured I could do two dives off this one tank.
The water seemed unusually dark and murky. It was a bit unnerving. Once I reached the bottom which seemed like an endless struggle to get down due to a sneaky strong current then I was OK. There was a serious thermocline. My plan was to hang out with the Hatches but the murkiness seemed to spook them so they bailed on the dive. I tried to just venture around the anchor line but the current was so strong I was getting sloshed around losing my sense of direction. There wasn't a lot of life that I could see other than one lone cunner and an lobster but it was just good to get my head wet and cold. At 38 feet my temp read 42F. After 20 minutes of swimming around that was enough for me.
Dive #792 Lane's crossing
There wasn't many boats out for the day since it was drizzly. The environmental police was out cruising and decided to stop the boat for a 'routine check". I guess they just need to make sure proper documentation was there as far as lobstering and that sort of thing. Massachusett laws regarding lobster catch as far as licensing, proper size and catching non-eggers is a big deal here in this state..
I think it is a good law so that the species stays in existent and continues to procreate.
I had about 1000psi left so I did a quickie dive. For some reason, it was even colder here. It was clearer and not as bad of a current but it was really cold. I brought an extra pair of gloves which were actually mitts. They were a pain to put on but they kept my hands warm. They have had to be about 26 years old. I found them in one of my scuba "bag of antiquities" which I had as a spare.
It was good to be out diving for the day. When I got home I was 'in a bucket". I think swimming like a son-of-a-gun against the current did me in.
Regardless, I had a fun day.

* picture of cunner was found on internet search.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you had fun. Miss diving with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Fox! Where can you go diving? Are there quarrys or lakes? of do you have to fly to California?

    ReplyDelete