Wednesday, June 23, 2010

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 12


Something odd is going on.

Four days ago, I brought the pigeons their usual food at their usual spot. They flew over near the spot but refused to eat the food.

I thought that was odd maybe a hawk is flying around.

The following day, the pigeons flew over to the telephone wire and just looked at me as I chucked the seed around. The seed from the previous day was still there.

The next day, I arrived at the same time as I always do and not a single pigeon was to be seen.

This was strange.

I was trying to figure out what was 'off".

I noticed some ignorant pig let their dog shit in the sand next to where I feed the pigeons. "Porky"did not have the manners to pick it up and throw it in the many trash buckets lining the boulevard.

Maybe the pile of poop grossed the pigeons out. It grossed me out.

I also thought that maybe I was placing the seeds too close to the beach plum bushes which could easily hide an awaiting predator. Maybe a cat was hiding in the bushes the other day and grabbed one of feeding birds.

The day following that, I didn't bring any bird food to the beach just to see if anything was different.

Strangely, as I started my run, the pigeons appeared and started to follow me- especially Craow Dum and Brownie. It was if they were trying to tell me something.

Today, I placed the food away from the bushes and the simmering turd.

The pigeons seemed happy with this relocation.

Everything was back to normal.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, great images! Especially, the simmering turd. Very interesting how the birds were able to tell you to put the seeds somewhere else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After spending alot of time with animals-specially my birds and the dogs. I've learned to just watch and observe those nonverbal communication signals.
    You really just have to open your mind and 'listen".

    ReplyDelete