Saturday, July 3, 2010

girl's night out


It had been a tough week for me fighting off the migraine demons once again.

The heat and blasting sun doesn't help matters. I just want to hide in a hole for a week with ice packed on my head.

It is predictably unpredictable similar to the course a virus takes. I kind of figured it would last about a week. I take my zomig, ice my head and try to lay low. It's difficult because you still have to go to work and fulfill your plans and appointments you make with friends and family.

Life doesn't just stop and wait.

I had made plans to see "Craig Ferguson" at the Wilbur theater with my old time grammar school chum. Craig Ferguson is a late night talk show host and comedian. He played the snotty "Mr. Wick on the "Drew Carey show". He is also the author of two books. His latest book "American on Purpose" I recommend as one of those good summer reads.

Thankfully, the migraines were managable so I was able to enjoy a 'girl's night out"in Boston.

(You would be amazed how days like this without your head and body aching you appreciate feeling just being "normal".)

One of the main things that makes a comedian good is not only the timing of the punchline their ability to know their audience.

The opening act did not have this skill, I say with regret.

For example, a preppie white guy would not do well telling racial jokes to an all black audience.

That just would not fly.

This opening act guy (who's name eludes me) was telling jokes about women's periods in regards to bitchiness to a mostly over 40 year old female audience.

That went over like a lead balloon.

I'm surprised he wasn't pelted by a blizzard of tampons and sanitary pads with his lame attempt of trying to be 'cute".

Craig, however, had that comedic flair and appeal.

I think having a audience that could relate to his Scottish humor was big. Let's face it most people in the Boston area are either northern Isle (Irish, Scottish or English) decent or Italian (or the combination of both) so his humor was appreciated.

We got a kick out of his rapid fire quips plus he's not a bad looking guy to boot either!

Yup, it was a good time to be had by all.

We topped the evening off stopping off at a high school friend's house.

It was a late night for me being the old fart that I am but it was fun hanging out and listening to funny stories with my high school pals.

Yup, I got to do this more often.
* just in case you were wondering, a Scotsman does'nt wear anything under those kilts.

1 comment:

  1. I like him too... I used to love Billy Connelly. Don't know what happened to him, but he was funny.

    ReplyDelete