Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Estate sale


I always thought an "estate sale' was just another word for a yard sale with more "high end stuff" for sale.

I saw a post in the newspaper for an 'estate sale' in the town of Exeter. Exeter is a pretty la de da town so I thought it would be fun to check it out. I love to treasure hunt.

A policeman was directing traffic for cars to park at this "estate" with a lady sitting outside with a cash register. The house was this run down dilapidated building with yellow "condemned" tape all around the porch. It looked like this place was slated for demolition.

The place was packed with antique dealers taking everything worth salvaging including the door hinges. I am guessing this place from the looks of it had not been maintained or perhaps not lived in since the mid1800's due to the style of wallpaper and woodwork. The stove was one of those cast irons stoves that somebody dissembled ready for taking. The "washing machine' was one of those clothes wringers. There was no bathroom nor any electrical switches or outlets. The holes in the wall revealed horse hair plaster work.

Throughout the dust and decay I envisioned what this place must have looked like in it's hey day. Similar to that scene in the movie "the Titanic" where you see the bow of the ship underwater encrusted with decades worth of algae and coral hanging off it like stalagmites then the scene morphs into the bow having a shiny brass railing with polished mahogany floors with couples dancing in beautiful velvet gowns.

I walked into one room and there lay an overturned horsehair mattress stained and mouse eaten.

On the floor in a corner was an over turned ancient bedpan .

I got a cold chill down my spine as if an icy hand grabbed me on the back of my neck.
I had to get out of there.

Fast.

This wasn't a fancy "yard sale".

This was grave robbing.

I felt like I was trespassing on some poor unfortunate souls misfortune.

I thought I was going to see a Miss Havisham like apparition.

I peeled out of the driveway like my arse was on fire.

No more estate sales.

I'll stick to consignment stores and thrift shops.

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you, V. I love to treasure hunt, but not like that. Now you've infected me with the bug. I found several antique "malls" that are within a few miles of my house. It's my go to place for my antique fix. Not working today... so off I go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good images, V. I felt like I was there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we can still buy that place together in Maine, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah Kimmie, "Grey Gardens" is in our future.

    ReplyDelete