Wednesday, June 16, 2010

patron saints redux


I get a little ribbing about this blog as "saint Atlantis."
If you study and read about the not-so-famous saints you find that they are regular folks with a particular focused dedication and or talent.
Sure, the readily famous ones like saint Sebastian depicting him tied to a pillar with a million arrows stuck in him grabs your attention or saint Lucy with her eyes sitting on a plate make you stand up.
( I hate to say this but I can't help but wonder if Saint Sebastian is also the patron saint of homo-erotica because he is always depicted half naked twisted and tied to a pillar. Yikes...)
Not all saints are impoverished or have been piously praying every five seconds their entire lives. Many of the minor saints actually do something that they are dedicated to as a gift from God. This is why there are certain saints that are patrons saints of: fishermen, firemen, selling your house, childbirth, artists etc... you get the picture.
Saint Francis of Assisi, in his youth, was a privileged merchant's son and a soldier who was as we say today a 'playa". I think, in my opinion, he was a little crazy because he followed diseased lepers and kissed them on their rotted lips as a curiosity or as dare to himself testing his "faith". He later felt sorry for the poor and dedicated his life to becoming like them in order to empathize with them.
My husband who is neither a Catholic nor a Christian finds the whole patron saint thing fascinating.
Matter of fact, he thumbed through my book,"the lives of the saints" by rev. Hugo Hoever, picking out a notable patron saint that had particular "healing powers".
He picked Saint Teresa of Avila.
She is the patron saint of healing migraine headaches. I went online and bought two saint Teresa of Avila medallions. One for my mother-in-law and one for myself.
My mother-in-law gets migraines too. My husband thought it would be a good 'east-meets-west" lucky healing charm for her.
Hey, for myself, I need all the help I can get to stop these migraine demons.
My friend in Maine gave me a ribbing about my blog. I tried to explain to her my reasons. The funny thing is that she could be in fact a "patron saint of abandoned kitties".
Her house is in the middle of a wilderness area. For some reason, lost/abandoned/feral cats find their way to her home as if knowing that she has a kind heart and will feed them, take them in or take them to a shelter to be adopted or get appropriate veterinary care. I find it amazing how many kitties find their way to her back door. Oh sure, she doesn't go to church or anything like that and as a youth had her crazy times but she is a chosen dedicated animal helper and lives a simple normal life within the mechanization of today's society.
Hey, reverend Jen of New York's east side is the "patron saint of the uncool and troll dolls".
Yup, I live a clean simple life and care for my birds, fish, reptiles and any other critter that comes my way.
And that is all I will say as to explain myself.

2 comments:

  1. You don't need to explain your sainthood to me... I totally get it. BTW...your artwork is really beautiful. I just went back and looked at your handiwork. They're really something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww! thanks!
    But I can not take credit the icon above. :-P However,ALL the other icons depicted through out my blog I did do!

    I did pick that icon picture of saint Teresa of Avila on an internet search because I thought it was a beautiful well done icon.The artist did a lovely job.

    ReplyDelete