Wednesday, June 9, 2010

the Wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 11


Yup, the usual cast of characters were front and center this morning.
It is funny that the pigeons actually recognize me.
There was a woman getting out her car parked near my car walking towards the beach to take pictures. The pigeons stayed perched.
When I got out of the car the sky was filled with pigeons.
Funny, eh?
When I walk by Croaw Dum and say, "hi Croaw Dum!". He straightens up and looks at me as if nodding in acknowledgment.
Brownie was there as well as Galok and Patches.
I noticed one pigeon who was all black with white speckles on his head having problems flying. One of his wings was drooped which meant his wing was most likely broken. This poor bird would not have long to live between dogs, cats, hawks and cars. He spent the next day under one of the cement planters. The following day, I didn't see him.
These Salisbury beach pigeons have a decent life here at the beach evident by their plump clean appearance but regardless, nature can be harsh to those who are not fit.
I was hoping to capture this pigeon and wrap his wing up until it healed but I was too late.
He was no longer in the flock.
The pigeons also have to be careful not to get wrapped up in discarded monofiliment line left over from the early morning striper fishermen. Last year, Croaw Dum had this invisible line wrapped around one of his foot. The line finally fell off but as a result his foot is deformed. Big Foot wasn't so lucky. His feet swelled so big from the tight line that he eventually died from some sort of gangrenous infection.
The starlings are pretty resourceful. They hide as well as forage for food in the partially covered trash bins.
This time of year I've been more barn and tree swallows flying around on the beach. I haven't seen too many plovers nor sand pipers yet.
The summer has just started.

No comments:

Post a Comment