Wednesday, August 4, 2010

sew what!?


My husband just came back from a short trip visiting his family.

His mother made me a cross stitch sampler of goldfish as a gift. It is really quite nice. I can really appreciate the time and effort in a gift that is hand-made, especially something hand-sewn. I've done embroidery but I can not do cross stitching. The stitches are so small and precise. In order to display this piece, I went to a local fabric store up the street where I bought a pillow foam and red satin fabric to incorporate the goldfish sampler into a fancy pillow. From the "quilting skills" I learned from my mother I made a beautiful pillow in less than an hour (see picture above). Ta da!

Yes, I like to sew.

I've made quite a few outfits for myself. Sure, you can buy clothes for the same and even a cheaper price than making it yourself but I enjoy making "wearable art".

I've made custom suits. I like suits that fit well made with fine fabrics. As I had mentioned before on a previous post, most suits out there are made with inferior fabrics and just hang on you unless you go with $$$ la de da European suits.

My mother is really into making and designing quilts. My sister sticks her nose up in the air in regards to my mother's quilt making. I think she thinks it is "silly" however, she doesn't even know how to sew a button on a shirt. She doesn't understand or appreciate what goes into the process. It's not a 'mindless' process either. Alot of math calculations in regard to geometric patterns take place.

I asked my mother to show me how to make a quilt.

She was in her element.

We worked on what she would call "an easy cheating quilt".

OMG....

It took me over six months to complete.

It was a long tedious process. It is not like making clothes where you see results right away by stitching each piece on. Quilting takes forever to see any visible results of your work. It amazes me how much works goes into it. My mother will actually give away her quilts as gifts to people. (!?)

I find it relaxing and comforting doing old fashion embroidery work. I've hand embroidered fish and other things on dresses I've created. I've done the old fashioned pictures on pillow cases too.

When I've been to second hand shops and antique shops I've seen hand embroidered place mats, aprons, etc.. for sale.

I often wonder about the creator of these hand crafted items.

Who were these people? How did they end up in a antique store? Are they still alive?

Each piece tells a story, but is anyone appreciating what they have to say?

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful pillow, V. I'm like your sister, in the sense that I can't sew for beans... but I do know how hard it is..how much work goes into it, and how extraordinary the finished piece can be. I envy people who can sew...sadly, I have no patience for it. Excavating, and treasure hunting on the other hand... I have all the patience in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to sew with a machine I got for high school graduation. I loved sewing, but hated cutting out the material. I don't know how many items I had in the basket with a pattern, the requisite number of yards of material, matching thread, scissors, etc. I just couldn't get past the part of ironing the material, laying it out on a large board, ironing the pattern, aligning it on the material, pinning it in place and then cutting it out. Too much work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got that right, Chris. It IS a process and a half!

    ReplyDelete