Monday, August 16, 2010

dive #804 & 805 August 15 2010


I wasn't sure if I was going to make it diving today. My head was pounding saturday evening after my long day out up in Maine. Thankfully, I woke up with a clear head and I was relatively pain free.

Hooray, I can go diving!

Dive #804 August 15 2010

It was a decent day with the wind blowing out from the north. We had a good group of people onboard. I figured it should be a rather easy-going day.

My pals: Larient, Bill L and Richard B were present. We also had a new guy that ventured all the way from New York to join us. Diane K was reviewing her skills recieving Pete's undivided attention.

She's a Lucky Duck.

The captain was filming topside footage of the coastline. We ended up a Lanesville crossing. There were quite a few dive flags bobbing up and down along the coast. Divers were fitting in their end of summer vacation diving.

The crew was particularly watching this one dive float that kept heading further and further out away from the shore out to the shipping lanes. I thought to myself, "that is one helluva stupid swim". After all the customers got in the water, I started to get my suit on. The divers of that wayward dive float surfaced. Fred signalled to them to see if they were "OK".

No response.

Either they didn't understand the "OK" signal or they were in trouble.

Fred then signalled to them to come to the boat. One of them did, but the other one did not.

The diver that came to the boat was kid.

A young kid.

He swam to boat with his mask around his neck.

Oh no.

He was now on the boat with Fred.

And you might have guessed he got the lecture. HA!

Chris got in the inflatable to check on the other diver.

He was way out there.

Pat and I decided Chris might need assistance so we swam like mad out to where she and that wayward diver was.

What the F*&^ was this guy thinking?!?!

He was really far from the shore right smack in the middle of the boating lanes.

It turned out the guy was OK. His float got away from them and he chased out to sea.

Sorry, but those two divers weren't the sharpest knives in the draw.

Pat and I took turns pulling Chris and her inflatable back to the boat

We were exhausted. What a swim!

Chris joked about Pete and Fred being "two crusty ol' buzzards" onboard.

For some reason, I found that hilarious and went into a fit of laughter.

I think it was because I wasn't expecting it.

I did a short dive exploring around. It was pretty murky. I did see a good size school of pollack and few flounder.

Dive #805

We ended up at S & M. I'm not too crazy about this sight because it isn't really protected from boating traffic. Plus, it is easy to get disoriented here.

I get a little nervous in regards to jet skiers booting around too. I kept listening for boats just before surfacing.

I saw a lobster trap with a lobster exoskeleton in it. Larient said it was a lobster molt.

The viz was still fuzzy but I was happy to at least log a second dive.

I cheated death once again. HA!

1 comment:

  1. Not only did you cheat death again, V, you also helped me do it by towing me and the inflatable back to the boat against the wind. What a slog!

    ReplyDelete