Monday, August 30, 2010

dive # 806, 807 & 809 August 27th 2010


Today was predicted to be a scorcher.
It wasn't bad in the morning but after the day's dive adventure as you pulled up into the harbor it got bloody hot. It's been a wicked hot summer this year.

Dive #806 August 27 2010

Fred, Chris and Pete were running the show. Pat was away on her annual "girl's weekend" so I missed her bubbly presence and funny stories.

We had a nice group of customers: Myanna, Linda, Bill L, Diane K and a new girl from the Northshore froggies. The water temp was a new England balmy 62F.

I was amazed at how many people are still wearing dry suits. I was perfectly comfortable, temperature-wise, in my wet suit. I only wear my dry suit when it is really cold out.

The first site we went to was the south side of Kettle island to stay out of the surge. The water was a bit surgy and choppy due to an inpending hurricane brewing in the south. The viz was 10 feet at max. I followed the new girl around for a bit until I lost her when I surfaced to get my bearings. There were plenty of lobsters around but they were all little guys.

I was only planning to do one dive since the viz was so crappy.

However...

Dive #807

I was just ready to get all my gear off when Pete signaled to me to "go down and retreive a weight pouch that dropped". I grabbed another tank since my "little bomb" was empty and down I went. I didn't even bother to put my gloves on since it was so warm. I swam around for a good 10 minutes but I couldn't find the weight. The boat kept moving so I was quickly becoming disoriented to where the weight would've landed. When I surfaced, Pete lowered the down line and KERPLUNK ! It landed right on top of the wayward weight pouch.

Hooray! Mission accomplished.

Yup, I'm logging this dive as a "retrieve and recovery" dive.

Dive #808

Oh what the heck, I have a tank all set up so why not go for another dive?

We went to "diver's leap". The viz was much better. I like this site because it is shallow and the best stuff to see is up by the wall. God knows why some people tend to venture away from this area to go deeper. I had fun looking around under rocks and crevices. I almost bonked heads with Bill L. I think he was doing the same thing as I was doing totally engrossed in exploration.

I was lucky enough to see a transient warm water fish that sometimes you see in Rhode Island this time of year.

I saw a juvenile spotfin butterfly fish!
However, this poor little guy probably will not survive living here when the water temp drops.

Another part of going out on the boat that is fun to do is to "bird watch".

Chris and I were trying to identify this one little water fowl. I think it may be a "common golden eye" but I am still not sure.

Maybe next time I should bring my bird ID book to verify.
*photo of force fins were found on an internet search

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you guys has a great day! Hope that poor, little, butterfly fish heads back south before the water cools down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there ever a "bad day of diving"?

    ReplyDelete