Monday, August 23, 2010

egg-xact


Lately in the news, there has been a massive recall of eggs involving a wide variety of brand names due to a salmonella outbreak. My first reaction was to shug my shoulders since I only buy my eggs at local backyard farms. I see the chickens walking around in the backyards happy and free to enjoy the sunshine. However, a bigger picture is at stake here involved with grocery store brand eggs.

As I am listening to the news about the recall involving Jack DeCoster and his massive Wright County egg farms in Galt, Iowa something clicks in the back of my mind.

This same clown was under investigation for some serious animal cruelty charges regarding the horrendous treatment of thousands and thousands of chickens.

I felt sick to my stomach.

I won't go into the details of what he and henchmen do to chickens in his factory farms from farms ranging fromMaine, Iowa and to many other places.

It is just sick.

Sure, you can buy eggs cheap for a 99 cents a carton on sale at Walgreens and local supermarkets.

But do you really want to support a$$holes like this that routinely abuse animals and sell you diseased eggs?

Isn't it better to support local neighborhood farmers?
The eggs are fresher. The chickens are happier. There are no hormones and toxic crap pumped into the chickens (getting into the eggs)

Animal cruelty is the worst in my book.

Chickens are such life givers.

Why can't we treat them with a little respect and dignity?

OK I'll get off my soapbox, but please support your local farmers !

No comments:

Post a Comment