Sunday, August 22, 2010

chamber meeting


As a small business owner one of the things you need to do is to make yourself known in the local community.

One of the ways to do so is to be a member of your town's Chamber of Commerce.

I joined our town's chamber of commerce just when I started my business. I go to most of the functions as well. It's another good way to check out restaurants that I didn't know existed since our meetings are generally set in various member's restaurants.

I have to admit it does'nt come naturally to me to walk up to strangers introducing myself to promote my business. Matter of fact I feel down right awkward doing it. It's a real effort for someone like me who is not a social butterfly. I just try to pretend that I am "Mitt Romney" while shaking people's hands. Regardless, this is all a part of being a business owner by reaching out to the community so they know you are there.

Yesterday was "Chamber of Commerce' day in Massachusetts. All the chambers had some sort of function going on. We had a evening dinner cruise along the Merrimack river.

So I attended it.

It was actually quite nice. The caterer of the event who happens to be also my hair stylist made up a special vegetarian plate for me to make sure I had a nice meal.

She is a real sweet heart.

I spent most of evening chatting with her. We talked about our history in regards to Salisbury beach. We actually had a lot in common.

The evening was topped off with a spendid fireworks display. People were dancing with lively tunes from the 80's. I preferred to view the Newburyport and Plum Island scenery.

Like I said before that is a benefit of joining the chamber and going to events. This is something I would not normally would've done but I had a really enjoyable evening.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a fun evening meeting some really nice people.

    ReplyDelete