Thursday, August 12, 2010

cars....


As I was coming home from a client's house on tuesday my car started to cough, buck and shake at the many red lights on route home. At first I thought it might be 'bad gas' after a fill up but I get my gas at the same gas station all the time and have never had an issue.

Then, the dreaded engine light turned on.

Shit.

I still had two more customers to take care of.

My car felt like it was going to stall and then, it had a hard start up. I didn't want to be stranded so I took it to the repair shop I usually go to right after I finished my last customer for the day.

For my job I truly depend on my car. I don't have one of those jobs that I can "call in sick".

I HAVE to be there to take care of animals regardless of any excuse. No matter the weather, nor if I am sick or for any other reason. I have to be there.

If I go on vacation, I inform customers way in advance and sometimes have my cousin cover for me.

Luckily, my husband let me use his car so long as I don't put any dogs in his car.

I'm not keen on using his car or any other car for that matter. He has a compact car which feels like driving a go cart. I feel more comfortable driving SUV's and trucks. I am, very careful and cautious, driving his car because this is his car.

There are two things I never let anyone use of mine, and that is my toothbrush and my car.

Both are very personal to me.

I like my car too and hope it lasts for a very long time.

I have over 90,000 miles on it and worry what will happen when my car finally kicks the bucket.

Sure, I fantasize about getting a certified pre-owned BMW which would cost about the same as a new Prius. The reality is I wouldn't buy either one of them

First of all, can you see me loading dogs in a BMW? No way, no how.

Second of all, I wouldn't buy a Prius. Sure, they are cool little gas efficient cars but they are too complicated and "space age' for me. But the main reason is because I would not buy a Japanese car for the simple reason : Japan still hunts whales. (!)

Period.

Sadly, PT Cruisers and Chevy HHR's are no longer made which are both perfect vehicles for my kind of business. They are both fairly light SUVs which makes for OK gas mileage. Another thing to consider is the weight of the vehicle as far as registering under commercial status. In Massachusetts ,(Thanks to the mole -rat -joke -of -a -governor, Deval Patrick) the rate jumped from $50.00 to $160.00 .This was determined on the car's weight to determine the rate. I feel sorry for other pet sitters who have fairly heavy SUVs. It must cost them a fortune to register their vehicle legally)
When the time comes for another vehicle I would probably look for used newer model PT cruiser. I don't want a car with all the bells and whistles. It's just another thing that can break.
My Mother's car has heated seats. What would happen if that malfunctions? You would fry your ass!
I hate automated door locks and windows too. What if your car went over a bridge into a river? How would you get out?

Anyways, it's been two days without my car.

ARGH.....

2 comments:

  1. Has there been any diagnosis on what's wrong with it, V? Sounds fuel pump-ish to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate car trouble! It's the worst. When something goes wrong, I can't stop thinking about it until it's fixed...then I worry about whether or not it was fixed correctly... ugh!

    ReplyDelete