Tuesday, March 16, 2010

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 4



I finally was able to get down to the beach to go for a badly needed run. The weather has been unbelievable bad between the super high tides, rain and winds from the NE.
Plum Island is falling into the ocean. There has been a mandatory evacuation for people residing in beach front homes that are now sliding into the ocean. Due to the erosion of the past couple of weeks of terrible weather there is now a cliff no entering Salisbury beach.
Since I had not been to the beach in a few days I was worried about the pigeon population. As soon as my car pulled up to it's usual spot I could see the pigeons gathering. It looks like everyone survived the storm. Galok joined the group which he was missing for awhile. They must have been really hungry because after I dumped their food out they still followed me down the beach.
The cold air felt really good on my head. I really needed to breath some fresh cool air. The sparrows line themselves on the broken picket fence to announce my arrival to the pigeons. Craow Dum seems to be the ambassador for the other pigeons. "The Scout' is the first pigeon to come to greet us. He is the messenger to let all the pigeons know it is safe to land.
I go through a lot of bird food. Not only do I buy food for the pigeons but for the backyard goldfinches and of course, my crew in the house. I just placed an order for food for my tiels & budgies online. I spent about $100.00 for just those birds. That food will last about a month.. I go through two 20lb bags of food for the pigeons each month and a 50lb bag of black oil sunflower seeds plus thistle for the outdoor birds.
Oh I'm not complaining or anything. I guess I never really sat down to think about how much food I buy my birds.
Boy, are they spoiled!
It is certainly worth it. I enjoy their company.
Oh, this reminds me. I will be having a birdy boarder for about two weeks starting Wednesday. I need to make some Harrison's bird muffins and stock up dandelion greens.
Yes, I spoil my 'guests" too!

3 comments:

  1. All I can say is... those pigeons are lucky to have you, lady! Oh, and... I miss the ocean so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you imagine what it would be like to be a pigeon in weather like we had over the weekend? I'd be huddled down, listening to the birdly equivalent of Dicky Albert, hoping he knew what he was talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pigeons amaze me about how resilient they are.

    ReplyDelete