Friday, March 19, 2010

extraordinary women


I just saw an advertisement for some silly show on TV called "jersey"...something or other. The show stars these women with perfect tans, shiny hair and surgically enhanced bodies. They act so stupid, shallow and petty that it is embarrassing. I can't for the life of me understand why shows like this are on TV. And of course, the follow up advertisement was for "Entertainment Tonight" previewing, yet another segment, of that creepy Tiger Woods and his unending string of douche bags vying for their 15 minutes of shame on some salacious talk show and seeking modeling gigs with skanky magazines.
When I see all of this, I feel dirty and embarrassed.
Ugh...
Tommorrow night, I am going to watch my sister-in-law play hockey for her championship finals. Yes, you read that right. I am going to watch my sister-in-law hip check opponents into the boards and slap shot a puck between a goalies skates into a net.
Seriously, how cool is that?
Here is this petite 40 something mother of two playing competitive hockey for the shear joy of it!
I liked "Kathy" the first day I met her. She wasn't some snotty diva princess nor an insecure passive-aggressive type. She's totally normal and "regular". She's the kind of kid you could imbibe in a few "adult beverages" with and you can joke around with too.
My sister swims competively year round in Hobson's Bay (New Zealand's ocean bay area) every Wednesday night. I've watched her swim and she is right smack in the middle with all the other swimmers in choppy waters. We are talking about some of these swimmers are in training for the Olympics and here she is a 50 year old mother of two keeping up with them on three mile swims!
Holy crap! I can barely run that never mind swim that!
My mother is nearly 70 years old. She does her own yard work. She has a pretty big yard. She mows the grass, rakes the leaves and maintains the grass and flowers. It is nonstop physical work .The flowers are the thing that amazes me. When one set of flowers is finished, a new set pops up. It is this never ending symphony of flowers that bloom straight from the spring til fall. It is something you see out of "Homes and Gardens".It is really quite amazing.
My cousin can speak a gazillion languages. Last year she learned to speak Portuguese. She is also my "how to" person when it comes to dealing with dogs. She has had dogs for decades so she know a thing or two about them. She is one sharp cookie.
Pretty soon, I'll be scuba diving with the crew of "Easy Diver". The ladies on that boat are amazing. They drive the boat, pull the anchor, lug heavy gear, lift tanks, assist customers and oh yeah, they dive too.
The"regular" female customers that come aboard to dive are pretty impressive as well.
And diving in New England waters isn't easy either.
I am blessed to be surrounded by so many "pissah awesome" ladies.
There are so many cool ladies that I personally know that I can not possibly list them along with their unique skills and accomplishments.
I hope and pray each day that I can, if not keep up with them that I, at least, can trail in their wake.
Rock on!

3 comments:

  1. I hope you're counting yourself in there among the amazing, lady...because you are definitely one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat post, Saint. You are on my amazing women list too.

    ReplyDelete