Tuesday, March 23, 2010

iguana be loved by you


One of my favorite books I've ever read was "Jurassic Park". I thought it was brilliant and well researched. I was always one of those dorky little kids that knew everything there was to know about dinosaurs but had no idea what a decimal was in math class.
Anyways, I always had a fascination with anything dinosaur-like. I got my first iguana as a 'surprise" gift. I never asked for an iguana nor even suggested that I wanted one. Regardless, I received this Chinese food container holding this tiny iguana as a" gift".
In a panic, I ran to the pet store to buy a book on how to care properly for iguanas. Sadly, three months later, little "Soto" escaped from his cage when I let him outdoors for some needed sunshine. I never saw him again.
Word got out in the neighborhood about the "lost iguana" and then people started calling me to see if I wanted their iguana since their kids lost interest in them. I ended up with two "new" iguanas: "Fruitcake" and "Stimpy".
I became somewhat of a celebrity in the town of Maynard as the "lady with the iguanas". Their picture appeared in the Boston Globe in a segment about "pets". I would take them out on leashes for a walk. Although they were not very good about walking they would try to bolt for the nearest tree. It was still rather amusing to see two iguanas on leashes walking down the sidewalk.
They got really big. I mean really big. I would say a good 5 to 6 feet long including their tail. They were pretty gentle although not too crazy about men. They would present themselves standing tall with their dewlap fully inflated (flap of skin hanging under their chin) and bob their head around in defiance. I thought it was hilarious when they did this but many of my guests didn't think this was funny.
Matter of fact, they were scared shitless.
When I was "dating" I thought having iguanas would be something that would attract men. In fact, I think it did the opposite.
My "dates' thought it was creepy having these "dinosaurs" walk freely around the house and were repulsed by seeing them swim (and poop) in the bathtub.
I think the iguanas sensed something "amiss" with the few "dates" I had. I swear, they did this on purpose.They would climb up on their post and fart loudly.
I'm serious.
It was so embarrassing.
They would purposely climb up on their perch lift their tail and let go a bellow of gas.
My (now) husband was unfazed by any of their shenanigans. He would bring bags of veggies over for the iguanas instead of flowers and candy for me. Although, he was not keen on picking them up or using the bathroom when they were taking a swim, he didn't seem to mind them.
Nor did he mind when they had an outbreak of worms (NOW THAT WAS GROSS!)
I had them for over 15 years. I started to really have problems with my neck and head. It was getting impossible for me to pick them up to clean them. They were well over 6 feet long and weighed at least 20lbs and it is not like they stayed still when you picked them up either. I needed long fireplace gloves to pick them up since their scales were like razors.
When I felt I couldn't properly care for them because of my health issues I felt it was best to find them a proper home. I found a nice lady who lived in Iowa who had a house full of iguanas. I felt this was a good match. Six months later she contacted me and sent me pictures of the iguanas enjoying their surroundings. "Stimpy" died a year later.He was about 18 years old.
They were an interesting pet to have but a lot of work. They should not be purchased on "a whim" as many teenage boys would do. If you ever decide on such a pet take the time to read about them first and if you decide this is the pet for you check out adoption agencies first. There are many iguanas that are up for adoption.
Iguana be loved by you!

2 comments:

  1. They definitely would not be my first choice for as an ideal pet...but they definitely suited you. I mean that in the most elegant way possible. :o)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha! They were interesting and I met interesting people as a result of having the iguanas.

    ReplyDelete