Monday, March 22, 2010

Easter bunny



Well, it is that time of year. It is almost Easter. Right now I have a "bunny" boarder staying with me.
I filled the empty pond basin with hay and arranged a stand so the bunny could get water with his drinking bottle. He cuddles up to a large winnie the pooh stuffed doll. He eats rabbit pellets and an assortment of fresh greens, shredded carrots, craisens and peanuts.
He's quite old for a rabbit being about twelve years old. Like the rest of us as we age, he has cataracts. I take him out to stretch his little legs out on the basement "pet friendly" rug and brush him. He sits up and rubs his little paws over his face grooming himself. He is a cute little thing.
My cousin use to have rabbits as pets when we were young so I am used to holding them. They are soft and cuddly but you have to be careful holding them because their hind paws have sharp claws.
Growing up Catholic, we celebrated Easter by not only dressing up in pastel colors and going to church for Easter mass but we also got a visit from the "Easter bunny". Similar to the elusive tooth fairy and Santa Claus, the Easter bunny appeared only at night when we were asleep and left a basket full of treats at the end of our bed.
What was different about our visit from the Easter bunny that our Easter bunny left a trail of edible droppings next to the basket. There would be this trail of raisenettes and mini milkballs on the floor out the door.
Of course, we thought this was great.
Edible poop!
This had to be the handiwork of my father.
There is no way my mother had any part in this scheme because even today she denies that any such thing of this nature ever happened.
Ha!
When I had my two iguanas I didn't realize they were both female until one Easter morning. I heard this odd noise of something that sounded like ping pong balls hitting the wall. I walked into the iguana room and saw at least 40 rubbery eggs all over the place.
I screamed.
"Stimpy' was really huge prior to this event and very grouchy. She weighed close to 20lbs. I think she tried to lay the eggs in her water bowl but they came out everywhere. Iguanas are not like birds that get protective over the eggs after they lay them nor do they sit on the eggs.
I've seen iguana eggs in reservoirs in Bonaire. The island of Bonaire is noted for their wild iguana population. For next four years, both iguanas "Stimpy" and Fruitcake" laid huge clutches of eggs every Easter season. My poor husband was totally grossed out by this event.
And now, my birds are doing the same thing.
Happy Easter!

2 comments:

  1. Ewwwww.... makes me never want to eat another egg again. Omlettes aren't really eggs, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha ha! Yup, omlettes are eggs!
    Never mind eating eggs, how about raisenettes?

    ReplyDelete