Wednesday, March 24, 2010

ribald tails


I am in my car a lot traveling house to house to care for animals. I've stopped listening to music since my dear Aunt passed away a few years ago.
I just can't stand to listen to "music". I absolutely can not stand to listen to Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey. It is pure agony. It is painful to go shopping and forced to listen to the crap they pump in for your "listening pleasure". How can the workers stand listening to this junk without going mad?
I end up listening to a lot of books-on-CD. "Marley-the world's worst dog" by John Grogen was the first one of these listening books I heard. After that, I've been a frequent library visitor taking out all kinds of books-on-CD.
My cousin introduced me to the Cesar Milan "Dog Whisperer" collection and now I am hooked. (More on Cesar at a later time!)
Another favorite was "Wesley the Owl". I just love these animal stories! I have listened to so many I can not keep count.
I also enjoyed all of Phillipa Gregory's historical novels centering on king Henry the VIII and his wives. Another 'guilty pleasure" is Sophia Kinsella's "confession of a shopaholic" series. They are really quite funny.
One of my clients recommended the novel "Outlander" by Diana Galandon. It is a historic fantasy novel centered on 18th century Scotland. It is pretty good, except..
It's a little too "spicy" for my taste.
Oh my God
It was pretty embarrassing pulling up to the dunkin donut drive-through and listening to "milky white breasts" and "quivering thighs". I've had to roll up my windows when I am stopped at a red light as well. I guess I am not used to these kind of , what you would call, "corset rippers".
I'll have to admit I am an "Disney channel" type. I'd like the novel better if it didn't have all the naughty bits.
I just finished "American on Purpose" by Craig Ferguson, speaking of ribald Scotsmen. I actually enjoyed his offbeat sense of self depreciating sense of humor and his out look on life.
The next book on my listening agenda is "Love is the Best Medicine" by Dr. Nick Trout. Dr. Trout is a veterinarian at Angel memorial. I've read his book "Tell me Where it Hurts".
No more ribald tales!

2 comments:

  1. Never acquired a taste for books on CD, although if I suffered with migraines... I probably would, as reading would be a bit of a painful chore. The first book on CD I tried to get though was "Wicked"... I think I listened to half of the first CD... there were 16 in total. I'm not sure where they ended up...I want to say a trash bin, somewhere outside of Indiana. They really should have picked a better reading voice for that one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would not recommend listening to the "Kite Runner" on CD. It was a gripping and well done story but it was really disturbing. I ended up hitting a curb when the story hit the disturbing bits.

    ReplyDelete