Friday, March 26, 2010

lampshade collars



Yesterday, I took "Ruby" and her compadres out for a walk. Thankfully, it was a beautiful day. The temps were in the 50s and the skies were clear. What happened over the weekend was that Ruby was enjoying a day at the dog park with my cousin until some bully dog decided to take a bite out of her. She had this nasty wound on her back. Needless to say, she was taken to the vet prescribed antibotics, given a rabies booster (just in case) and fitted with a "Elizabethan collar" (lampshade) so she wouldn't dig at the wound.
I know this sounds mean but dogs look really funny wearing this big plastic cup around their necks. I did feel sorry for her because I really think she felt embarrassed. I was temped to take it off of her when we went for our walk but I was afraid she would start scratching at the wound or decide to roll in something and get it infected. The good thing she only has to wear it temporarily until the area heals.
However...
It is really sad when you see parrots wearing this type of collar.
You do see them wearing them for the same reason Ruby had to wear one to allow an injury to heal. But most often parrots are assign to wear these Elizabethan collars because of feather picking and self mutilation issues.
As I had blogged on at a previous post about my lutino cockatiel "Button". She has feather tearing issues. She had been to a multitude of avian vets trying to figure out what the problem is but nothing has come up conclusively. A homeopathic vet fitted her with one of these collars so her feather pins could heal and grow.
It was the saddest sight in the world to see her. She put her head down and leaned forward. She lost interest in food and everything. After a few days, I couldn't stand it anymore. I had to remove the collar. I was afraid she was going to lose the will to live. She was clearly depressed!
I've talked to other people who had to collar their parrots. Most do not like it but seem to adjust to it after awhile. Sadly, if some of them have to wear it for feather picking problems the parrot generally resume to picking once it was removed.
I thought, maybe, if I put a 'flight suit"(bird diaper) on her which would cover the picking areas that this might help. She wanted no part of this.
She is generally a well adjusted happy bird. She gets loads of attention and gets the best of food.
She also likes to bathe. I am still in pursuit of curing her problem but no one seems to know why.
Poor little Button.

4 comments:

  1. Is Ruby the pooch in the purple collar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, that is not Ruby. Ruby is the dog in the post "guardian angels part 2"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor thing. I always worried about taking my dog for a walk when he was wearing one of those collars...a lady at the vet told me that her dog almost drown in one, because he was outside for a long time in the rain, and it filled up with water. Even though I knew she was probably full of it (the collar isn't water tight around the dogs neck) I still wondered... plus, he looked dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just for future reference, elizabethan collars are much more comfortable for birds when placed the other way -- opposite the way they go on cats and dogs :)

    ReplyDelete