Monday, August 1, 2011

broccoli meatballs



The shops in Newburyport come and go. A lot of my favorites are gone and I have some new favorites that have taken their place.



This week in Newburyport is a big local event.



It is Yankee homecoming week.



There are all kinds of events that go on all week like free concerts, pet shows, antique shows, art shows, a big road race and the famous parade. There are all kinds of vendors selling food, discounted items are for sale from all of their shops and side-walk performers are entertaining the folks sitting outside taking in all the going ons.



I took a walk around town after I finished walking dogs for the day. There was this new "smoothie" shop that had just recently opened that caught my eye. Most "smoothie" shops sell the usual mix of some kind of fruit concoction mixed with yogert or cream.



The sign posted outside this little shop announced :"spinach and brocolli smoothies".



No yogert or syrup is added to the mix just pureed spinach, brocolli, bananas and pineapple.



Despite the hefty price of $5.25 I had to try it at least once.



It was really good!



As I sat on a bench in the shade sucking down the smoothie I couldn't help but chuckle to myself thinking of Captain Fred.



I don't think he will ever forgive me the time I invited him over my apartment for a spagetti dinner and I had made broccolli "meatballs". His face contorted in such a grimace like somebody played a dirty trick on him. That incident happened about 14 years ago and he still talks about it.



He was pretty traumatized by my faux meatball debacle.



My guess would be that this new smoothie shop would be one place he would avoid like the plague!

6 comments:

  1. I can't imagine a smoothie that would be more healthful. It was probably VERY green in color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, it was very green.
    It was hot yesterday and I made the mistake of sucking it down pretty quickly. It was a good amount (the size of a large ice coffee)
    I got a bit of a stomach ache afterwards.
    I'll have to try to make them at home but not as big!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still love you, despite the broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha ha! I believe I got a similar face when I tried to put romaine lettuce on his turkey sandwich instead of "John Wayne" lettuce. I miss you guys...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Broccoli meat balls? Gag me with a chain saw!!!!!!! Romaine lettuce might be okay for Caesar to eat, but you can't beat iceberg lettuce. I just made some Blackened chicken it tasted great. Those suckers are hard to catch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill, I am guessing that you probably would not indulge in a broccolli-spinach smoothie....

    ReplyDelete