Tuesday, August 23, 2011

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 29



I really didn't think the baby pigeon would survive.



He is still hanging in there.



It turns out this baby pigeon is just 3 weeks old, not four weeks like I had hoped for.



Pigeons lay only 2 eggs at time so that both Mom and Dad can care and take turns feeding the baby but something must of happened to why this baby was in the sewer grate.



I tried unsuccessfully to feed the baby by using a syringe just like I did with my cockatiels. I could only get a small amount of food in his crop. And I think I might have aspirated some food his lungs because he was "clicking".



This is not good.



Their beaks are different than parrot beaks.



My husband was on "pigeon duty' when I went diving on sunday. I was expecting major panic catastrophe when I arrived home.



But instead, to my surprise and delight....



My husband looked up a site on the internet on how to feed baby pigeons. Instead of using the syringe the "normal way" he removed the top and placed a rubber glove finger over it with a hole cut out. The baby stuck his beak inside the glove and ate the kaytee food with gusto! He fed him twice already! The baby, of course, had a 'food beard" from the drippings out of syringe/glove feeder but he was alert, chirping and had a full crop!



I was so proud of my dear husband!!



He was also "showing" the pigeon how to peck at the floor for seeds. He spread seed down on floor and tapped with his finger. The little bird was curious and started tapping his beak on the floor. He didn't eat any seed but it was start.



I fed him again (for the fifth time that day), gave him a bath, dried him off and put him in a clean heated tank for the night.



Yesterday, I fed him 5 times. It was stressful. I never know if he is getting enough food and water. I tapped the seed as well and let him walk around on the floor to get fresh air and sunshine through the screened-in (new) french doors after the little pigeon had his bath.



He is not out of the woods yet as far as surviving.He didn't eat as much this morning. I scheduled a visit with my vet for this afternoon to make sure he is not sick.



I have my fingers crossed.


* I found this picture on the internet of a baby pigeon. This is exactly how "Craow Dum" looks minus the crusty 'food beard"

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What great news, V. I remember you were concerned about the baby on Sunday. Great to hear it survived the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Job, S! That's so great, V. This little guy couldn't be in better hands.

    ReplyDelete