Friday, August 19, 2011

the Wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 28



Never a dull moment.



This morning we decided to run up north for a change of scenery. It was high tide and we were kind of sick of running south on the parallel street.



As I turned the corner near Christie's pizza I noticed something in the drain grate in the gutter.



I saw a pigeon.!



I figured, 'oh poor thing..dead" As I looked at him I noticed he was breathing. He was a very young pigeon that must of fell out of the nest above Christie's spiked sign. I looked up and saw a mother pigeon feeding a baby.



Shit.



This must be a 4 week old baby.



He still had baby down on him and a tiny tail feather. It is rare to see a baby pigeon other than a 'squab" which are usually larger than the parents.



There was no way I could get the baby back up in the nest.



I do not know how long this baby was in the grate or when the last time it had a meal but I could feel it's keel bone. He was weak and did not struggle.



Needless to say, I brought him home.



I put him in a 5 gallon aquarium with a blanket and heating pad. I mixed some soften pelleted food with warm water and tried to feed him. I got a little in. I will cut this post short because I will head to a pet shop to get baby bird formula and a better syringe. (The syringe I had was sticking)



I honestly do not know if this baby will survive due to possible other issues that I can not detect but I am going to give it a 'go".



Oh shit...wish me luck.


*the photo above is the baby in a towel. I used my cell phone camera.

2 comments:

  1. No question. This blog is aptly named.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm late to the party, but I hope he's still hanging on. If anyone can do it it's you,V.

    ReplyDelete