Thursday, August 18, 2011

the Wild Pigeons of Salisbury beach part 27



There is definitely a "new" crowd of pigeons this year. I still see "Galok" amongst the crowd.



Hung Cow, Snowflake, JLo, Mocha and Chocolate Chip make their appearance now and then.



Every once in awhile a "new' one will appear with distinguishable markings. I do not label (name) that one unless he/she makes an appearance numerous times. Craow Dum is gone. My husband is convinced he hooked up with "Brookah"lady pigeon and moved up north.



Sometimes you get "visitors" from Seabrook that show up for just one day. They must hear that there is "free seed" in Salisbury so they come on down to check it out. They also have to watch out for hawks and fast moving automobiles around the beach front. I've noticed that they don't actually eat the discarded pizza per say. What they go after is the corn meal dust underneath the pizza.



People will blame the pigeons for making a mess on the beach. It is actually the black back gulls that make the mess. They get inside the rubbish bins, pull stuff out and shred it. They are as bad as raccoons as far as making a mess out of trash bins. The pigeons keep a distance from the gulls. The gulls as opportunistic. They can be cannibals if they feel the urge to eat something that "taste like chicken". They will eat discarded chicken wings. I've seen them on the Isle's of Schoals eat baby gull chicks and injured comrades. If I were a pigeon I would keep a safe distance from them, for sure.



There are two dark pigeons that visit my back deck on occasion as well as a family of turkeys.



The pigeons come by around 3:00pm and the turkeys come around at 6:30am. The two black pigeons I call "Heckle and Jeckle". I try to keep my bird feeders filled so that "everyone" (goldfinches, pigeons, mourning doves, cardinales and turkeys) have something to eat.






* I finally completed the "memorial" Icon of Craow Dum as featured above. I took the photo with my camera phone in which the colours appear faded and the outline not as shape. Sorry about that!


The writing inscription on the Icon are written in Russian.

It says "The Holy Pigeon".

"Invisible, innocuous but yet, omnipresent"

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful work, as always... you are definitely one talented lady, V.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks inscrutable. Who is your Russian translator, Babelfish?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...I just google the translation. I forget which site. I will forward the pic to my Russian Icon teacher. hopefully, it is the RIGHT translation.

    ReplyDelete