Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Parrot crisis in Bonaire! part 4



I mailed off letters to Bird Talk Magazine, my parrot chat groups, and to BOAF (NH pet bird club) in regards to the situation in Bonaire. Whether or not my letters get printed is another story. I hope the letters get printed, the word gets out and donations are made.



I just received an email from "Sam" of echobonaire who is charge of taking care of the baby parrots. So far, things are going smoothly. We will talk prior to my departure onward to Bonaire to see what will be needed at the time.

Since Bonaire is a small Island they do not have the plethora of speciality pet shops like we do in the USA. As I check Bonairetalk some of the folks who are heading to Jong Bonaire (where the parrot nursery is located)are packing feeding syringes for the growing babies.

The syringes are hard to clean so they go through them alot. As the babies get bigger they need different sizes as well. The type and size of feeding syringe is different for a small conure as it is for an amazon.

As the babies grow they will need different types of food as well. Some of the babies may be struggling along and need a speciality type food perhaps with a higher protein content.



As far as I know, everything seems to be going well.


* photo above is baby amazons. Little baldies. Aren't they cute!

2 comments: