Thursday, August 25, 2011

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 31



As I fed the morning pigeons I noticed there were more of them. They breed in the spring and summer months. I just saw on the morning news about a guy in Brookline who got in trouble for feeding the pigeons. I guess his nosey neighbors had nothing better to do than to bust his b@lls.



There are some people who just hate pigeons.



I fed my little pigeon his morning slurry of kaytee formula now mixed with a little seed. I tried to introduce him to a crock of water. He pecked at the seeds on the floor but didn't eat any. I washed him off because he gets some of the food in his eyes and ears. I worry about infection.



He still makes a bit of a raspy noise due to inhaling his food. I have to keep an eye out for that.



I am not sure my vet knows that much about pigeons per say, other than they are potential carriers. I keep him away from my other birds. I've checked his feather stocks for mites and so far, I see none. I may order some triple C antibotic powder through Foyspigeonsupplies.com to keep on hand, just in case. It is to cure any respiratory infections.



I try to feed him every couple of hours. Sometimes he eats with gusto and sometimes he just takes a couple of bites. I mostly want to make sure he has enough liquids.



It is a challenging undertaking and I've been a nervous wreck. I want him to survive and to be healthy.



* photo above is a picture of the make shift 'bottle". It is a medicine vial with a rubber glove covering with a hole in it so he can drink from. The food I use is kaytee exact baby parrot food with omega-3s and a scattering of parakeet seeds.

1 comment:

  1. You are definitely St. Atlantis...and you found your calling.

    ReplyDelete