Monday, August 29, 2011

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 33



Hurricane Irene blew by us.



We were lucky we excaped any damage in it's path but folks inland such as western Massachusetts and Vermont were not so lucky. They had some serious damage and massive flooding.

The surrounding towns here lost their electricity and had some downed trees but the affects were minor. I had put away anything that could blow away out of my yard so that nothing would not go sailing into my windows, or my neighbors. I took down my bird feeders as well.



The beach road was closed off all weekend so I could not get down to feed the pigeons.



My little pigeon is still hanging in there. I've introduced seed, corn meal and grit to his diet. He will attack me for the hand feeding formula which as of today I cut down to 3 feedings a day. He is starting to peck at the seed when he thinks I am not looking. He will not peck at the seed if he thinks I am watching him. In spite of the hurricane (more like a tropical storm) the visiting black pigeon landed on my deck and hung around there for most of the day.



I put the bird feeder back up today and threw more seed on the deck for the black pigeon. Today, he brought along a friend. Both of the pigeons chased the mourning doves away. My little pigeon sat close to screen, flapped his wings and "peeped" at the pigeons. They were very much aware of his presense. I am hoping I will be able to release him with those two pigeons and that they will welcome him to their flock.

2 comments:

  1. Wouldn't that be neat? Maybe they're relatives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the weirdest thing! They will hang around next to the screen and peck around for food keeping thelittle pigeon company!

    ReplyDelete