Thursday, August 11, 2011

Parrot crisis in Bonaire! part 5





I've been following the parrot rescue situation in Bonaire. I am hoping by the time I go to Bonaire all the parrots will be rehabbed, released back into the wild and the smuggling situation will be shut down for good.





As of now, quite few of the brown throated parakeets have been successfully rehabbed and released. The amazon parrots that were also retrieved are larger so therefore they take longer to wean and to be be on their own. As of now, the volunteers are still caring for more than sixty baby parrots.



Just recently another baby parrot was retrieved from yet another smuggler. The baby was severely underweight and starving. The staff was not sure if the baby would make it. So far, the baby is doing OK. I am still awaiting a reply from my bonaire talk chat group to find out more about the baby. I am guessing STINAPA is doing there job cracking down on all this illegal activity.

(STINAPA-Stichting Nationale Parken of Bonaire. It is a national park foundation to protect and preserve Bonaire's national marine park and Washington Slagbaai national Park)



I remember a few years walking along the boardwalk seeing caged amazons in dirty, small rusted cages without any toys sitting there joylessly. Whenever I tried to talk to these people about the parrots I would just get a silent stare.

No comments:

Post a Comment