Monday, August 15, 2011

dive # 835 August 14 2011



Dive # 835 August 14 2011






I felt remarkably well today.



When I have days like this I want to do as much as I can. It's like having a a gift card that you gotta use that day!



The weather was predicted to be rainy and windy so it was good chance we would not be going out. HOWEVER, the weather did hold off ,thankfully, and Pete was in charge for the day with four scheduled passengers. I would've been absolutely fine with diving in the harbor if the weather turned for the worse. Easy diving is always good.



I just purchased an (old fashion )jacket style BCD on ebay so I was eager to test it out. This type of BCD is hard to find. All the "new' BCDs are those weight intergrated types with all kinds of "hooks and ladders" attached to them AND they all weigh a ton!

Fred and Pete like their horse collar BCDs with just a back-pack. I need something that is soft on my shoulders and easy to get in and out so I prefer the 80's style BCDs. Fellow diver Alan H. was also "test driving" a older style BCD similar to mine as well. Besides Alan on board, we had Bill L, Pat W as crew, and a father/ son team.



We went to the wreck of the New Hamphire.

Water temp was 59F. I didn't scream jumping in.



The BCD seemed to work OK. No "auto-inflation" issues. It filled and emptied OK. The only problem was when I filled it it bubbled a little out of the inflator button. Regardless, I think it is a keeper.



I noticed that the flounders were unusually huge around the wreck site. There were some HUGE discarded scallop shells around there. A few lobsters were out and about and a large tautog. After I let air out of the BCD I turned to the left to see a good sized torpedo ray only two feet away from me! I spun around hoping I would see other divers (despite the 10 foot viz) to show them the torpedo ray.



Pete was scooting around with his UW scooter so I pointed out the ray and then took off with his "toy". HA!



I had thought about going in for a second dive since Pat was minding the boat topside but I think I sat out too long in the soggy suit joking around with the fellow divers that I got chilled.



The second dive was at saddle rock.



Nobody wanted any of my nice spinach sandwiches. I had brought extras. I thought Bill L would gag at just the sight of them. I am guessing, like Fred, he would run like hell from my 'famous' brocolli meat-balls with the spinach infused pasta. Pat did indulged in the turkey sandwich that I had brought along for good measure.



We pulled into dock just as it started to rain.



We cheated death again.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, you lucky duck. I'd have been so psyched to see (and maybe video) a torpedo ray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, V. Glad you were feeling well. I probably would have taken you up on a spinach sandwich... Weight Watchers is a war that can be won with the right artillery.

    ReplyDelete