Monday, August 8, 2011

what grows in the garden STAYS IN THE GARDEN!



It was a rough weekend for me. Luckily, I could feel the "migraine monsoon" coming on so I prepared for it just like when midwesterners are warned a tornado is coming. In my case, I took my meds early, cancelled all my plans and rested with ice on my head and neck.

Amen.



The next day, I went out to water my garden, pull slugs off any leaves and harvest any bounty that the rabbits didn't eat. The bunnies wiped out my spinach but left everything else alone.



The tomatoes are starting to ripen. The cilantro is all used up, the basil is still growing as well as the mint. The peppers are doing well, the cucumbers are all over the place and.... the squash is well, obscene.



I thought I was hallucinating.



I know I've been on a zomig bender for a week now. I've been pulling these gigantic squashes off the vines and they seem to appearing in 'odd" shapes.



Granted, I do have a bit of a sophomorphic sense of humor but as I placed the squashes on the counter my husband took one of look at one particular squash and exclaimed, 'oh gross, that looks just like a giant goat scrotum".



At that point all the vegetables in the garden started to take on "various forms of laughable amusement". One pepper started to look like ex-president Ronald Reagan. I ate that pepper right away. It was sweet but tough just like the former president.



The giant goat scrotum squash lasted three dinners worth.



I'm sick of squash already.



*photo above is the "infamous" squash.

3 comments:

  1. That squash is really a stunner, isn't it? Looks kinda like two squashes merged and developed warts. Oh well, I guess it was delicious, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, it was a "siamese" squash. It was HUGE. It was good but there was so much of it. There is another giant squash growing now too. This one doesn't look so obscene. It looks like a pipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He he he...HA HA HA HA.... that post definitely brought out the 12 year old girl in me. You said scrotum... he he he.

    ReplyDelete