Tuesday, August 30, 2011

parrot crisis in Bonaire! part 6



I had been following the news checking the path of the hurricane to see if Bonaire had been adversely affected. So far, from reading the bonairetalk website it appears that everything is OK.



I've been following the echobonaire facebook update postings to check on the progession of the parrot rescue. Many of the parakeets have been rehabbed and released. Some of the amazons have been released but most are still being cared for.



Still, new parrots keep coming to the rescue either from confiscation from low-lifes capturing them or from other reasons. A new young amazon came in last week with a broken leg.



There was a notice out to those visiting Bonaire if they could bring toys for the parrots. A big part of parrots socialization growth is playing with toys. It helps their mental well being. I know myself, I am constainly changing and repairing (favorite) toys for my birds. It keeps them busy and it soothes their natural instinct to forage.



One woman from England is trying to raise funds for the parrots by selling specialized nail stick-ons. (They look pretty cool!)



My birds favorite toys are the ones I had made. They love things that they can wreck. Chinese finger pulls (remember thoses?) are a big hit. They are made of a soft paper/wood/rattan. My birds will tear those things apart. They also like little wicker balls and plastic beads that they can take apart.



Bigger parrots like bigger toys but on the same principle. They love towel rolls(They have to be "glue-free". JFYI, the glue in cheap paper towels is toxic.) They love plastic chains that they can disassemble and soft balsam wood blocks to chew. They even like cereal boxes stuffed with shredded newspaper!



I am happy with how things are progressing in Bonaire. Hopefully, this ridiculous illegal parrot trade will stop for good in Bonaire.

No comments:

Post a Comment