Wednesday, August 24, 2011

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 30



The little pigeon is still hanging in there.



My husband took the day off of work so he could drive me and the pigeon to the vet. (I was having monster migraine monsoon)



It was a mad house at the vets. She took a quick look at the pigeon and thought he was OK. She said his lungs sounded OK which was my biggest concern. She said if anything is in his lungs it should work it's way out. She suggested I find a pigeon fancier to take him in order for him to 'model" (imitiate other pigeons) in learning how to eat seeds, fly and socialize in a flock. I've called pigeon fanciers that I had found through pigeon racing sites. None of them wanted to talk to me. Most were paranoid and wanted nothing to do with a feral pigeon.



The vet seemed to think "Craow Dum" should be eating seeds now since he is a ground feeder.



I found this a bit puzzling. This bird was still in a nest being fed by the mother. Once fledged, he would be eating ground seed but he is only 3 weeks old! I've introduce him to seeds but he hasn't gotten the hang off picking them and ingesting them. I am still hand feeding 5 times a day with a make shift bottle. He makes a complete mess. I have to bathe him after every feeding but at least he is eating.



After I feed him, I open the french doors so he sit by the screen to watch the other birds and to warm up from the sun. To my horror, a hawk slammed into the screen trying to get at him!



Earlier in the day while I was walking Mattie the naughty jack Russell a flock of pigeons zoomed by me as they were being chased by a merlin ( a small hawk)



I cringe thinking about the dangers this bird will be confronted with.

I actually think seagulls are nastier than hawks. Hawks are like snipers. A one shot kill. While seagulls are like nasty gang thugs that circle their prey . Each seagull will tear at their victim. I've seen then do it to their own kind that was injured. They are cannibals.



I hope the flock of pigeons accept "Croaw Dum" back to their flock. Safety is in numbers. I don't want to let him go but the freedom he will have by living by the beach would be the best. As of right now, I am feeding ,bathing him and trying to teach him to eat seed.

It is just one day at a time for him for right now.






* Here is a picture of Craow Dum sitting by the door. I used my camera phone to take the photo.

3 comments:

  1. His beak really looks different from an adult's, doesn't it, V. Good for you guys for trying to help him/her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little guy. He's not even healed yet and the world is already trying to eat him. I used to feel like that every day. I don't now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe that is why I sympathize with pigeons. People think they are gross and stupid. I don't.

    ReplyDelete