Sunday, July 31, 2011

dive #834 July 30 2011



Dive #834 July 30 2011
It was a perfect summer day.

It is the kind of day we wait for all year long for.

Sunny, warm, no humidity with a light breeze.
Easy Diver headed up north. Chris, Fred and Pete were running the show.
We had a boat full of "ladies only" customers. It was refreshing and comforting to be surrounded by fellow capable lady divers. We had Jackie, Jackie's co-worker (sorry, right now my brain is a bit foggy I can not remember her name at the moment), Karen from Metrowest and Dianne.
The first dive was at FG cove.

I went in with Karen and headed towards the shore-line. I saw some striped bass, cunners and tautogs. I didn't see any lobsters on this dive. The water was slightly surgy but nothing like it was last weekend. The water temp was 53F near were the boat was anchored but warmer by 4 degrees up by the shallows. Lots of big boulders to check out.
The second dive spot was at Folly Cove.

It was chock-o-block full of anchored boats enjoying the day. I opted not to dive the second dive but Diane and I "Hampton beached" it by plunging in the icy brine with just our bathing suits on to excape Pete's underwear show as you know, just for our viewing pleasure.
Chris and I spotted a seabird passing by that did not look like an ordinary gull. I checked by bird ID book and I believe it to be a northern gannet ( Morus bassanus) in it's adult summer phase. They are usually located further north. It was a large bird like a black back gull with just black on the tips of it's wings.
You never know what you will see when you are out at sea!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day, V. Except for the visit from Underwear Man. He always seems to show up at the most inappropriate times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha ha!
    Oh don't give me that Foxy!
    You miss the underwear show.
    Admit it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the bird identification work, V. It's good to know what we see out there.

    ReplyDelete