Friday, August 26, 2011

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 32



I just ordered "The flying vet's pigeon health & managment" book from Foy's pigeon supply company. As I stated before, my goal is to get the little little pigeon healthy enough to be released into the wild.



I like to read. I like to read with a purpose in mind. I may never care for a pigeon again but I find them to be quite interesting.



The little pigeon is starting to get a little white color on his wings now. I think I got the hang of hand-feeding him. I've added seed to the mix and tomorrow I will scatter some grit for him to peck at as well.

However, he still makes raspy noises which makes me nervous. He's not out of the "danger zone" yet.



Today, after I fed him, washed him and let him enjoy some fresh air and sunshine a lone pigeon landed on my back deck!



It was the oddest thing!



The pigeon on the deck started to peck at scattered seed on the deck. My little pigeon was very interested in what that pigeon was doing and imitiated him! He pecked at the seed on the floor as well. They were watching each other intently through the screen door. I'll try to make sure there is scattered seed on the back deck to encourage this lone pigeon to visit. My little pigeon could use a friend.



We are expecting a hurricane to hit the east coast this weekend.

Hurricane Irene.

I hope the pigeons on the beach are able to find shelter from the wind and rain.






*here is a photo of Craow Dum sitting by the screened door. I was hoping to get a shot with the visiting pigeon as well.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe the visitor is a relative who's come by to check on the patient's status. It's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's kind of funny, eh? Who knows what the other pigeon was thinking. I hope he/she comes back to visit.
    Another thing I've found out about pigeons is that they are really cuddly. They love to be cuddled, at least this baby seems to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete