Tuesday, July 13, 2010

dog dayz of summer


We are having a heat wave.

Even though I live by the ocean the air temps have been stiffling.

I think as I am getting "older" my internal temperature guage is on the fritz. I am having hard time dealing with the heat especially since I have a job that requires me to be out in the midday sun.

Things have slowed down a little bit lately in my business which is OK. Most of my new customers have been cat customers which are for the most part easy so long as I don't have to give them an injection or that they are super finicky or neurotic.

I've had my regular customers of birds that stay with me which is my favorite part of my job. My birds enjoy these visitors as well. Linus loves when Princess comes to visit. He flirts with her like mad. Whereas Lucille enjoys when Dover comes for a visit. Billy Bob likes to tease the cockatiels but he is fun happy silly lovebird.

I've been a having bunny rabbit boarder quite often this summer. I keep "Benji" at my house in my nice cool basement. I let him out to hop around so that he can exercise his little legs. He is pretty old so I have to be conscience of the heat affecting him. I brush his shedding fur daily and supply him with cool fresh greens to keep him hydrated. At least having him in my temperature controlled cellar I don't really have to worry too much rather than leaving him at his home in his bunny hutch where he could easily overheat.

In this weather, heat stroke is a concern not only for the dogs but for me as well. I keep plenty of water in my car. I take the dogs in the woods or at the park to stay out of the sun.

I also have to keep alert of rolling heat thunder storms that seem to come out of nowhere. Lighting strikes are a real concern.

Most of the dogs I walk know it is hot and just like to do "their business" and sniff around for a bit. One dog doesn't understand that it is just to F*&^%ing hot to run around and jump on you.

"Riley" will run around no matter how hot it is with her tongue hanging 8 feet out of head.

I took the dogs over to my cousins for a change of scenery since she has a nice big shady backyard. Riley ran around like a nut, gulped a huge amount of water left in a bowl and then decided she wanted to get on my lap to wipe her mouth on my pants. This is one of the reasons I have to wear long pants all year round.

Dogs seem to gravitate towards my bare legs to:

1) wipe their mouths on my legs

2) lick my legs

3) as a climbing/jumping post

4) a yummy target for ticks, greenheads and mosquitoes

I bought two pairs of these 'dog friendly' pants at Kittery trading post that repels water and that for some reason, ticks can't hold on to.

I have to keep an eye on Riley epecially since she doesn't know when to stop. She gets over excited about everything. Sensory overload. This makes her more at risk for heat stroke. She's a a friendly pretty dog but can be a handful at times.

Short snouted dogs I have to keep a watch out for. They have a hard time breathing AND really risk overheating fast. I have one pitbull mix with a short snout that strains on his leash. He makes me a little nervous because he doesn't know to stop, slow down and just breath.

Well, as much as I complain about the sizzling simmering heat at least it's not snow.

You never have to shovel 'humidity".

2 comments:

  1. You never have to shovel heat, either. We're also in the midst of a heatwave. It's been 115 every day, but I'd much rather this heat. If you can believe it...people are out jogging right now. In the blazing sun. Apparently heat stroke isn't a concern of the terminally ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG 115F....plus big icky bugs....
    That's nasty!
    I remember those scorpions hiding out in Fred's condo "secret key compartment". yuck!

    ReplyDelete