Tuesday, July 27, 2010

dive #800 & 801 July 25 2010

I probably should have just stayed in bed that morning.
I really didn't think I was going to be able to even get out of bed.
I had such pain running up the right side of my back, shoulder and neck. I felt as though I had been in a car accident but I knew what in reality what was happening.
A mother of a migraine was emerging.
I had pain for three days starting in my ankles making it impossible to sleep. A migraine isn't just a headache. It affects everything that has blood vessels and nerves.
I thought if I get up ,walk around and perhaps, get my head in cold icy water I might feel better. So disregarding my better judgement I went diving.
Unfortunately the pain was spreading and getting worse. You would think by now I would listen to my body rather than thinking that ,"oh it's nothing".
Dive #800 July 25 2010
Thankfully, we had a great group aboard. Larient, as usual, Myanna, Linda, Diane K, a new guy named "Alan' and "Kat". The wind was blowing from the north-west with a strong incoming current making it challenging to find a good calm spot to anchor. The water was a bit choppy and under water there was a sickening surge. We ended up at Salt island off of Good Harbor beach.
Myanna, Linda and Larient were out hunting lobsters.
I found a humungous lobster under a rock missing a claw. I found the claw a few yards away from the lobster. I am assuming that was his/hers. I mostly stayed in one spot pulling at my hood just to get the cold water on my head.
Unfortunately it wasn't helping. The surge was getting the best of me and making me sick.
It turned out I wasn't the only one battling the surge. Kat was feeling rather green as well.
I couldn't even eat my snacks I brought afraid that I would barf.
I am hoping the next time Kat is onboard we can spend some time talking about aquariums and fish since she is the aquarist for the restaurant "Rain Forest Cafe"'. She is charge of their many salt water fish tank displays.
Dive #801
I have no idea where we landed for the second dive.
I tried desperately to "ignore" the now engulfing pain.
I figured just sitting under the boat with my eyes closed in the cold water would help.
I was progressively getting sicker.
It was a short dive.
Everyone was on the boat was kind, sympathetic and helpful. Pete and Chris chopped a chunk of ice and positioned it to fit snugly under my hat to cool my brain off.
What a wonderful invention.
I drove home very slowly. Thank God I can take the back roads home.
I took my hat off but the ice melted and formed to my head like a little hat itself. It stayed there all the way home. The ice kept me sober for the ride home.
These F*&^ing migraines rule my life. This will stay with me for a week.

1 comment:

  1. You poor kid. We really hope you feel better soon.
    Gentle, soothing hugs from The Captain and Chris

    ReplyDelete