Sunday, July 11, 2010

Dive #796 & 797 July 11 2010


Dive # 796 July 11 2010

The weather was predicted to have on and off thunder storms today. I figured if I brought my rain gear then the rain would stay away.

And it did.

It was hot and sunny.

Pat had the day off. The captain banged out two dives the previous day overworking his slowly mending knee so he directed operations topside instead on going in. Pete and Chris did some UW filming.

We had a good group of customers aboard.

Larient, Myanna and her partner Linda. They have easy going personalities and are good divers to boot ! I like having them aboard.

We ventured out to Lanesville since Larient, Myanna and Linda were in the lobster hunting mode. I like this spot too since it is shallow and close to shore.

Water was really murky as you descend but once you got to the bottom it was OK. Water temp was 56F at 30feet. I was hoping to see some dogfish but all I saw were few pollack. I only used a half a tank so I could do a second dive.

Dive #797

We headed over to "the restaurant" near Folly Cove for the second dive. However, there was fisherman with his son fishing at the spot that we wanted to drop anchor. We ended up heading back to Lanesville but edging closer to the mouth of Folly. For some reason, the water felt warmer. Chris and Pete were on a quest to film a "capture and release" involving a flounder as a part of their film footage. I found a huge flounder and tried to herd it over to where I thought Chris and Pete were filming. Even though I was conscience of the changing tide and the sneaky current I ended up not where I thought I was suppose to be.

I used lobster pots as landmarks. I got suspicious when I was near a yellow lobster pot when I had swore that lobster pot was green. Sure enough when I surfaced to check my bearings I was at the wrong lobster pot. I guess the flounder that I was herding was not going to be a movie star today.

I still had fun looking around.

It was a nice easy low key day of diving.

That works for me!

3 comments:

  1. Good trip report, V. The brushing fish reminded me again of this turtle responding to being brushed:
    http://cuteoverload.com/2010/07/07/shake-that-shell/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soo jealous! It's 115 degrees here, with no ocean in sight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! I love that story about the turtle shaking his bum while getting brushed!

    ReplyDelete