Tuesday, July 20, 2010

the Wild Pigeons of Salisbury beach part 14


The public beach is always a mess especially after the weekend.

It's really a disgrace.

There are tons of buckets to throw your trash but some pigs prefer to leave their little piglet's ca ca diapers on the beach. Pizza boxes, disgarded styofoam coolers filled with debris, broken beer bottles, chip bags, fishing lines with hooks, and even clothes are scattered all over the beach.

It's just nasty.

It's the turistas, the out-of-towners, that do it.

They don't care.

I won't even tell you what the public bathroom looks like.

Last weekend, I stepped on a metal wire buried in the sand and cut my foot.

It's really too bad because it is basically a decent beach. I sort of avoid the public beach in the height of turista season because of the crowds and mess.

Since you have to pay to get in the state beach it is much cleaner.

I buy a yearly beach pass every year to enter the state beach.

I get my moneys' worth in one weeks usage.

The bathrooms are clean and there are three of them on the state beach parkway.

As far as the pigeons are concerned, Brownie has not been with the usual group of pigeons on the public beach. I saw him about two weeks ago a half a mile north on the beach with a different group of pigeons. There is a new one that joined the group who I will call "Snowflake' since this one is all white with a spattering of black making this pigeon look like a cut-out paper snowflake. I do not know what Craow Dum got in to but I noticed he had a piece of green twine wrapped tightly around a toe on one foot and another thicker piece wrapped around his ankle.

Some jerk threw a hacky sack (a small bean bag filled with pellets) up on his nesting ledge. I tried to knock it down but it is too high up. The pigeons that reside up there seem to be afraid of it.

Although the food is more plentiful in the height of turista season ( fried dough, french fries, and pizza)I think the pigeons are happier during off-season where is less hazards and dangers.

Ahhhhh.. I really sound like a local, complaining about the tourists.

No comments:

Post a Comment