Tuesday, July 6, 2010

dive# 795 July 4th 2010


Dive #795 July 4th

Out on a dive boat was the place to be on a horrendously, hot and hazy fourth of July.

My head was still a bit foggy after a weeks worth of zomig but I figured a plunge in the icy depths would do me some good. However, if we were to dive at cathedral rocks I would wait this dive out and dive at the second site. I don't like this spot because it is deep, bloody cold and murky.

We had Janet M, her friend Neal, Larient and Fred's old time pal Jerry C.

Fred assigned me to dive with Jerry.

I was little nervous about this because I was still a bit 'off" and Jerry being the cantankerous but fragile ol' scroggie might have issues in the water.

Jerry has been diving before I was born but at 80 years old with health issues I was a bit nervous about getting in the water with him..

It was unbearably hot. I made the mistake of putting on my wetsuit too early before arriving at the second dive. I was severely over heating so I just jumped in without my hood. I had to get my head cooled off. Pete delighted in the fact of "helping"me submerged my head by stepping on my shoulders dunking me it.

AHHHHH! that felt good!

When I hopped out of the water I felt something "wiggling" behind my knee. I thought to myself, "oh gross I must have some insect trapped in my wetsuit after being stored in the garage since the fall". Sure enough, when I was helping Pete and Pat with the anchor TWO plump earwings crawled out of the sleeve of my wetsuit. Pat was horrified and totally grossed out. I can't say I blame her but I wasn't about to take the suit off at that point before completing my dive.

The ocean was filled with boats partying and enjoying the day. The beaches were completely packed. People were enjoying their holiday to the fullest.

The second dive was at Lane's crossing which I was glad of. It is shallow and close to the rocks. There is usually good things to see exploring at the rock formations.

I got in the water with Jerry. All seemed well except he started to swim like a bat out of hell straight out to the open ocean!

What the ....?!?!?!

I started following him thinking maybe he was disoriented. I pointed to the shore area but he still kept swimming furiously out further to the boating lanes. WTF! At that point, I had to surface before we both ended up far away from the boat and shoreline to see if I could find Pete. Jerry has been diving a very long time and I'm sure he wasn't about to follow a girl.

I alerted Chris of the situation and tried to at least have an idea of where he was going just in case he had to be rescued.

Thankfully, about 15 minutes later, I did see Pete AND Jerry diving together getting closer to the boat.

I relaxed and was relieved after seeing them together. I saw some lobsters and a school of small pollack. I even found Pete's lobster that he had dropped overboard with it's claws banded. I was tempted to remove the bands and set him free but Pete was having a big cookout at his house and the fresh lobster feast is a big highlight for his guests.

I hope everyone had a safe and happy fourth of July.

GOD BLESS THE USA!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. You are a wonderful crew member, V.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris for your kind comments. :-)
    Never a dull moment, eh?

    ReplyDelete