Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Wild pigeons of Salisbury Beach part 9


I've been getting up earlier since it is light out to feed the pigeons and to go for my morning jog. The usual cast of characters await their morning breakfast except for Brownie. I haven't seen Brownie in a couple of weeks. He disappears in the summer mornings. I think he holds out for afternoon pizza crust, a discarded piece of fried doe, a dropped onion ring or fried clam instead. I've seen him in the afternoon.
I think Craow Dum's attempt at fatherhood was a bust. It looks like somebody threw a metal bracket up where he usually nests. I honestly don't know if it was there before but I had just noticed it hanging off the shelf where he usually roosts and the nest was destroyed.
It has been abnormally hot for this time of year. It is really gross walking dogs in this weather. I've been taking them in the woods to get out of the blasting sun. My choice is either get fried in the sun and throw up from heat stroke or go in the woods and get covered with ticks and green-heads. I take my chance with the ticks and green-heads.
Seriously, the ticks are unbelievable this year. My poor husband who gets grossed out by bugs is finding ticks crawling on the bathroom wall most likely from falling off of me when ever I use the bathroom. Believe me, the mere thought of ticks crawling on me and setting up camp on various parts of my body is not helping my love life. It is really disgusting but I guess that it is reality when you are outdoors all day long.
I couldn't stand the heat any longer so my long time pal came up to my house during my 'lunch break" so we could sneak off to the beach. "Sue" is a real New Englander and was keen on going for a swim in the ocean. Last weekend, when I went scuba diving, the water temp according to my UW temperature gauge read 42F so I was bit leery about going in with just a bathing suit.
The sun was beating down and we stood at the edge of the water up to our knees. The waves were huge and there was an undertow. We would inch in slowly until a big wave hit us and soaked us.
Oh My God! It was freezing!
Since we were already wet we decide to stay in a bit like two jerks screaming every time we got hit with a wave. Ah! I guess this is the official start of summer.
I have to say we were "good" this time with our choice of snacks. I brought a big tub of strawberries, granola bars and seltzer water. Sue brought some raisins. This is good since our usual choice of snacks is poptarts, yodels and of course, donuts. We would sit on our chairs with our faces filthy from chocolate and powdered sugar after making pigs of ourselves with our sugary treats. Nope, not this time.
Could it be that we are finally growing up?
Nah..I doubt it!

1 comment:

  1. So odd to imagine water being "freezing" now that I'm here... our pool rarely reaches anything below 70 degrees, and that's in the dead of winter. Right now, it's a balmy 87.

    ReplyDelete