Sunday, May 2, 2010

dunkin donuts vs. starbucks in Nassau



I spotted three dunkin donuts in Nassau, Bahamas.
I couldn't believe it.
I also spotted two starbucks coffee shops as well. You can tell that the reason there are three DD on this small island is to cater to the snowbird Bostonians. When I walked into DD to get to some food and drinks there was a sea of Red Sox baseball caps waiting in line for their fix.
The Bahamians are shrewd businessmen. They know they have you by the scroggies once you walked in there.
I was shocked at how expensive it was. I bought two egg-white flat bread sandwhichs, a vanilla chai and a bottle of water. In Salisbury, it would cost me under $9.00. In Nassau, it cost over $22.00 for the same thing.
I needed my fix and they knew it.
I'm sure it was even worse in starbucks. (I still can't for the life of me see how anyone can drink that cigarette butt flavored sewer water). Same thing, you can see all the yuppies in there wearing bad shoes yapping on their cell phones with a screaming brat in tow. They too, needed their fix. And I am sure they paid for it too.
I got a decent package deal to Atlantis. I really did. It was a super fabulous trip. I HIGHLY recommend going at least there at once to vacation.
You did, however, have to pay attention to what things cost there. Dinner in the restaurants in Atlantis started at $40.00pp. "My friend John' advised me to go to a little Italian restaurant across the street from the Comfort Suites called "Anthonys". It was not cheap but reasonable, and the food was delicious with a good selection for vegetarians and carnivores alike.
There was some serious "sticker shock" on some items in Nassau and Paradise Island, just to warn you if you go.
For example: Pepperidge farms cookies priced for $2.50 in the US cost $8.00 in the Bahamas.
Banana boat SPF 30 sunscreen was $2.99 a bottle in the US. That same bottle was like liquid gold in the Bahamas selling for $22.00 a bottle. An "Atlantis" logo sweatshirt went for $70.00-$94.00 depending on the style. A 1 liter bottle of spring water was $9.75.
Regardless, it was one of the best vacations I've been on but I am now glad to be home with all my birds!

No comments:

Post a Comment