Sunday, May 23, 2010

Dive #790 May 22 2010


Dive #790 May 22 2010.
You never know what kind of day it is going to be even when you follow the weather reports. It was predicted to be in the 80's F but indeed it was rather cool with a wind blowing from the SW. It was a quiet day on the boat "Easy Diver". The Captain and Chris were present as well as Pat, Pete and Larient.
Since the wind was blowing from the SW we went up north and anchored at "the restaurant". It was a nice calm area.
Chris, Pete and Larient went in to do some UW film footage. I braved the cold water as well to explore the rocks and crevices for critters. At the depth of 30 feet I had a temperature reading of 42F. My dry suit kept me warm for a bit but my hands were F&^%ing freezing. I balled them up as if to fend off the cold. I was just was going to call it quits but my curiosity got the better of me. The viz was pretty good at about 30 feet.
Pete was busy filming a decorator crab in an abandoned trashed lobster trap. As he was filming, a big horseshoe crab was sauntering across the floor. I haven't seen one of those in Massachusetts north shore waters in decades. When I was a little kid, my cousin and I would see dozens of them at the Rowley landing. My uncle would pick them up and chase us with them.
As Pete was filming I awaited for him to look up so I could point to the horseshoe crab. I eventually lost my patience, picked it up and placed it in front of him.
I swam off still exploring but grimly aware of how frozen my hands were. Over by a pile of boulders I found a dead bluefish. It hadn't been there very long because it was fully intact. The sharp long dentition identified it.
I pretty much drained my tank but one dive was enough for me. Everyone else was equally frosted and called it a day.
The tide was a super low tide. Pat was driving the boat and was super cautious as to not beach the boat. We were just about getting to bridge and all of a sudden "THUNK".
The boat hit ground.
Oh shit...
Pete grabbed the wheel, pulled it out, went forward, and again,
"THUNK".
He finally got out and around that elevated sand bar.
Despite that little precarious situation we had a great day of diving.

*
picture of horseshoe crab found on internet search

2 comments:

  1. It was a good diving day, wasn't it? I had fun. The videos came out great. The horseshoe crab looks prehistoric as it lumbers across the sand in both Pete's and LD's footage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that the Captain is back on the boat! Yay! Glad you're all diving and having fun.

    ReplyDelete