Saturday, May 8, 2010

falling asleep behind the wheel


I really hate when I do stupid things.
Yeah, I can blame it on being in a 'zomig haze" (which I am in 95% of the time ) but it is "me" that makes the mistakes.
I was making fun a of a sign I saw advertising hancook tires.
"Who would buy crappy Korean tires with a knock-off name like hancook (Hancock)?" My husband reminded me that I did. I looked at him in utter disbelief, checked my tires and saw the name "hancook" branded on the tires.
WTF
Never in my right mind would I have purchased shit foreign tires. I seriously must have been in a zomig haze, needed tires at the time and said to NBT tire guys, "whatever... just put new tires on my car". ( I have since replaced these tires with American made quality tires)
Before I go on a trip I have a check point list to make sure I don't mess up. I know how I can be "zomig dopey" I can be so I try to be proactive when making plans and decisions with my many lists and calendars. This really helps. I am a very organized person with my lists.
When I lived in Burlington, I built a goldfish pond. It was 5 X 5 feet and 3.5 feet deep. I had about 4 goldfish in there and they even had babies. In the winter, I would take them in the garage so they wouldn't freeze outside. When I moved to Salisbury, I gave one of the fish away to a customer the rest made the trip up north. Sadly, one of the fish jumped out of the acclimation tank across the basement floor and died. Two remained. They were both quite large at the time.
I built a much smaller pond for the remaining fish. They did well for the next 5 years. However, last summer there was an infestation of tape worms. I was horrified to think that I clean the pond out with my bare hands and sometimes water gets on my face and mouth. I was worried that I might contract the worms but I didn't.
I started using gloves at this point and treated the fish with praziquantel to rid them of worms. One fish didn't look that good but managed to survive the winter. I was anxious to get the fish back in their pond in the spring.
I do not know what I was thinking but I failed to age their water and treat the water with a dechlorinator. I know I've been taking more zomig more than usual which may have caused this lapse in judgment.
A week later my ten year old goldfish were dead. I checked the fish and they had hemorrhage spots due to some kind of chemical toxicity in the water.
Shit.....
I F&*%ed up big time.
It's like falling asleep behind the wheel.

1 comment:

  1. Ten years for a captive gold fish is a mighty long time. You should be patting yourself on the back, instead of beating yourself up.

    ReplyDelete