Monday, May 17, 2010

Dive #789 May 16 2010


This was my first dive of the 2010 season in Gloucester waters. Fred & Chris were not running their charter trip today so I went out diving with Pete, Larient, Jackie K, Bill L, Andy and a new guy with with really white teeth. (I notice those things.)
The air temp started off fairly mild with a low wind.
We went to the wreck of New Hamphire so Pete and Larient could do their underwater salvage expedition. I just wanted to go in for one dive just to get back in the swing of things. It was also good to see my ol' dive pals to catch up on stories and adventures.
My dry suit, however, was really tight around the arse.
Not good.
Jackie K told me she had started weight watchers and had already lost 5Lbs. She looked great. I think I will embark on that WW journey once again with no excuses. I need to lose a few pounds so my dry suit isn't so damn tight.
I got in the water.
So far so good.
Pete told me that last week the water temp was 45F and the viz was great.
The viz today was about 15-17 feet. At about 28 feet, 15 minutes later, I checked my thermometer. It was pegged on 40F. My hands were frozen solid. I wanted to drain my tank since I made the effort of getting in the water so I stayed close to the boat looking around. I saw a few skates, a small moon snail, a few small lobsters and a huge red sea raven.
I was pretty well frozen at this point. Topside, the wind started to pick up blowing from the NW. Pete and Larient came back to the boat with a few treasures. Half the team went back in for the second dive at (stinky) egg rock island. Everyone was pretty much frozen at this point.
Still, it was a good day for a dive.
*photo of sea raven was found on an internet search

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, V. I'm glad you were able to enjoy your first dive of the season, even if it was freekin' freezing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, at least you got in. That's great! I'm diving in the big lakes out here this summer. Should be interesting to get back in the water now that my wet suit fits... but will be boring without that East Coast sea life, and the sea life on the boat. Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete