Thursday, May 13, 2010

Sex and the city part 2


I found a website while searching on ebay for bird supplies. I was specifically searching for (fake) resin cockatiel eggs. Accidentally, my pet sitter threw out my eggs out when I was away on vacation thinking they were real (soon to be rotten) eggs. My usual supplier up in Nashua ran out of them so I had to do a search to find some real quick.
It is cockatiel breeding season. These fake eggs act like 'birth control". Once the female sees all these eggs her body tells her she is done laying. If you keep removing the freshly laid eggs her body tells her to keep on laying. It is very stressful to keep on laying.
These fake eggs also keep Linus busy tending to them rather than pestering Lucille to mate and to keep on laying.
I ordered seven eggs.
I made the mistake of putting all of them in the cage at the same time.
I thought Linus was going to have a heart attack when he saw all these eggs.
He got all panicky trying to stuff all these eggs under him. I think Lucille knew they were fake. She didn't sit on them but it provided her the freedom away from Linus so she could eat and have naps.
I ended up just leaving just four eggs in there because Linus was obviously stressed and over whelmed trying to care for 'his babies". At the same time he gets really aggressive towards any of the other birds who dare to come near his cage- except towards Whook.
For some reason, he will allow Whook to come in the cage and sit with him. Linus is a male cockatiel and Whook is a male budgie. Linus will attack Smitty and Carl who are also male budgies but for some reason he doesn't feel threatened by Whook.
I am guessing because Whook is gay.
Yup, Whook is a gay budgie.
*I couldn't help but make this commentary after reading "Fox's' blog...
Whook has not exhibited any interest in any of the female budgies I've had but he has shown some very forward attraction towards the males. This has caused some serious budgie wars due to his advances. Whook has also spent alot of time, well, engaged in, um, self satisfaction shall we say(!)
Whook would try to "feed" another male budgie which is a sexual act. The other male will put up with it for a bit and then try to get away. Whook doesn't like to have no for an answer and would get aggressive to further his advances. He had a close relationship with his male friend Wilson. When Wilson started to show interest in the female budgie Dixie things got ugly. Whook would kick Dixie out of the cage so he could have Wilson to himself. When Wilson decided he preferred Dixie's company Whook got jealous and attacked Wilson.
Many of the phoney baloney bible thumpers prescribe homosexuality as "purulent and does not goes along with nature". Well, all you have to do is read some of Jane Goodall books about some chimps behaviors. There are clearly some groups of chimps that prefer engaging with their own sex. The same goes for dolphins as noted in the book "Dolphins" by Jacques-Yves Cousteau. It is not common but it is not unusual
Linus lets Whook help him guard the eggs prescribing him the role as "an uncle". When I had a nest box set up with real eggs in it Whook sat on the perch and stood guard outside the box. Linus didn't mind and neither did Lucille..
I have to say, the social activities and interactions of my birds are quite interesting and rather complex.

3 comments:

  1. Complex, indeed! Sounds like their society is a little more tolerant. Maybe it's because they don't bend the bible to suit their own agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thank you for the post. Hushmodels

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to search sites with relevant information on given topic and provide them to teacher our opinion and the article. butt plug

    ReplyDelete