Friday, May 21, 2010

cats


Cats can make really nice companions for some people.
When I was a little kid I had a cat named "Derekia". She was a female tiger cat. She was a very well behaved and friendly kitty. She pooped in her litter box, didn't wreck the furniture and wasn't fussy what she ate. She was no problem until sadly, my mother decided to find her another home because of suspected allergies to cat dander. I still believe it was my parents nonstop cigarette smoking that caused my wheezing and coughing because after the cat was gone I still had watery eyes, wheezing and that constant car sick feeling.
I seriously hate cigarettes.
I found through out the years that there is a difference between someone who "has cat(s)' for pets" and somebody who is "a cat lady".
My friend up in Maine who I have known for close to (gasp) 30 years has always had cats. I would consider her to be a person who "has cats for pets." She has five cats and her house is immaculate.All of her cats are well behaved. Her furniture is intact, her rugs are vacuumed and I have never smelled cat pee in her house. Never.
I have had customers who "have cats for pets" and that are 'cat ladies".
I've been in homes that the cats run the house. Cat turds everywhere, vomit and hairballs all over the place and the stench of cat urine floating around. Most of these cats are dysfunctional and have "issues".
One case in particular that this person had just one cat. The cat refused to use the litter box and left packages everywhere. The owner thought this was OK. She was upset that I didn't sit with this cat on my lap. (I had enough to do with caring for all her other animals)
No way.
Either this cat had mental issues, was carrying giardia or had worms.
I wasn't going to put this cat on my lap.
What is interesting that I have distinctly noticed through out the years is how many cats who have "issues". There are so many cats that have diabetes in particular. I have had to learn to give cats daily injections of insulin. Cats are getting 'people diseases".
Another disease that a lot of cats seem to have is feline HIV and leukemia. A lot of them also have psychological problems too such as separation anxiety.
When I had Derekia as a pet the only thing I had to worry about was rabies, distemper and worms. She got her necessary vaccinations.
I asked my friend up in Maine what her opinion was on why there seems that so many cats have issues since she has had many years of experience with caring for cats.
She said, and I have to agree, 'that there are just too many cats".
There was a population explosion and what has evolved is this myraid of "issues".
The shelters are just chock-o-block full of unwanted cats.
People need to spay and neuter their cats. The cats need to be vaccinated for a list of diseases and, they need to stay indoors. (Cats are the number one problem for the decline of the songbird population)
Cats can be wonderful companions but as with all animals under our custodial care is there is this sense of responsibility that come along with it and can not be ignored.

2 comments:

  1. Every time someone in my neighborhood (and surrounding neighborhoods) decides to walk away from their upside down mortgage, they leave their cats behind when they move. We have about 12 cats who wander freely around here...that used to be someones "beloved pet"...now they're starting to have kittens. Pretty soon we're going to be overrun. Some neighbors have been trapping the cats and moving them to other counties so that we won't have so many in such a small area. The humane shelters won't take them anymore, because they already have too many...and no one wants to see them end up in a killing shelter... it's definitely a problem.

    ReplyDelete