Thursday, September 22, 2011

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 40



Little Smitty (the budgie with a kidney tumor) is still hanging in there. He gets a burst of energy, flies around and then wants his "leave me alone I am sick" time in his own cage. I know his time on earth is limited but at least I can say he is happy and comfortable.



Meanwhile, the little pigeon completed his round of meds. (Antibotics, antifungal, antiinflamatory, antiprotozoa AND insecticide)



The vet contacted me to see how he was doing.



I was still concerned with his raspy breathing but she assured me it was a defect with his deformed nares. I was also concerned with his raggy feathers unsure , even though I could not see any lice (or mites), but that some may be still hiding out in the feather sheaths. It gives me the shivers to even think his feathers might have eggs or lice larvae on him.



Brrrrrr...The vet gave me the OK to give him another spray with scalex to be completely sure he is vermin free.



Craow Dum still wants to be hand-fed. I oblige knowing that he is now weaning. He is starting to eat "big bird' food now by himself. I am trying to wean him from parakeet food since he needs pigeon peas in his diet now. He also gets Harrison's high nutrition pellets, a pinch of spirilina and grit (for digestion). I've cropped up veggies for him but he isn't really all that interested in it.



At this point now, Craow Dum is now ready for a larger enclosure.



He has been stuck in a 5 gallon 'hospital tank". It is time for a "real home". I had been looking around on the various pet bird internet sites, craigslist, and pigeon sites to see what would be a comfortable set up for him.



Of course, there are fancy outdoor pigeon cotes but he will not be able to live outside.



Parrot cages are too small. He needs to flap his wings, have a cubby cove and be able to "walk". Pigeons do not climb like parrots do.



I decided on a bunny hutch (which is a smaller version of a pigeon cote) suitable for a single pigeon.



I bought it at a grain and supply store. The box in which it was packaged read 'easy assembly required". The box weighed a F*&^ing ton. I managed to drag the box up the stairs and thought to myself this should only take me 30 minutes to put together.



Famous last words.



Three hours later with half the hard-ware missing.



I kind of figured this would happen and thankfully, I had the hardware it was missing in my hand dandy toolbox. I had to draw out in my mind how the hutch should be assembled. The directions in the box must have been written by some Chinese guy who drew only crappy stick figures and knew only three words in English. Screw piece together.



It was a joke.



Craow Dum followed me around like a little duck. He sat down patiently gazing up at me while I pieced together the sides and front portions careful not to let him too close just in case a piece of wood slipped out my hand. I placed a towel down by the french doors and he hunkered down there basking in the sun inspecting my every move. When I finally put the latch door on which could act as a ground level ladder Craow Dum walked over to the entrance as if to say "ah well done!".



I had also picked up a shallow pyrex baking pan at a thrift shop which was perfect for his bath tub.



(The ladies at the thrift were I purchased the pyrex asked me if I could bring the pyrex back full of what ever I was going to use it for. I am guessing they thought I would be using it to make brownies or apple crisp. I think they would've shit themselves silly if they knew it was going to be used as a pigeon bathtub!)



I also bought a little plastic box for $1.00 in which he uses as his cubby cove. It fits inside his 5 gallon hospital tank which he likes to use for privacy and protection.



Tomorrow , after his final inspection he will move into his new home.



And yes, just in case you were wondering, the hutch in set up in the kitchen next to the french doors.

2 comments:

  1. That's wonderful news, V. He'll be right in the line of sight of the out door black pigeons that started visiting your place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course it is! Where else would it be? :o)

    ReplyDelete