Tuesday, September 6, 2011

dive #837 September 4 2011




Dive # 837 September 4 2011




I almost didn't go diving today.




I had a customer early morning that has 9 cats plus I was worried sick over my baby pigeon. My dear husband stepped up to the plate and took care of the pigeon so I could go diving.




I really needed to go diving and see my friends.




Sunday is my "hall pass" day.




It's september already so the season is starting to wind down. Lucky for us, the rain held off and the water was relatively calm despite the passing hurricane the week prior. Salisbury beach was closed down due to rip currents and pollution issues in regards to those gross sewer disks that are still washing up on the beach. (This has been going on since April! yuck!)




Pat was away on her "girl's weekend" in the vineyard so it was Fred, Chris and Pete running the show. We had three customers from the Frogmen's club plus our buddy, Bill L.




We anchored at FG cove.




The viz was pretty crappy. Ten feet at best. It was also horribly freezing for this time of year. I'm guessing around 50F (That is the temp I got at 45 feet deep)




I followed the froggies on their compass reading adventure. I felt we were not heading to shore since we were going deeper and I was getting unbearably cold. I could hear a boat overhead which also meant were not close to shore. At 1000psi I went to the surface to take a look/see. Yup, they were heading towards the open ocean. I swam back to boat to alert the crew where they were. I swam back out to where they were without my tank and weights to act as a "marker" above them to make sure we knew where they were just in case we lost sight of their bubbles.




As I said, the viz was terrible so it was easier to just follow their bubbles. Plus, it was much warmer on the surface! They were fine and headed back towards the shore without having to surface. I didn't see much of marine life on this dive except for a large sea raven.




Bill L was on the hunt for dog-fish but came up without seeing a single one. This time of year you see dog-fish, torpedo rays and mola molas.




It was just good to be out diving.

1 comment:

  1. You already know this, V, but you were a tremendous help on this dive.

    ReplyDelete