Friday, September 23, 2011

hungry girl



Tomorrow is my birthday.



Generally when celebrating birthdays, anniversairies, holidays or even big (shoe)sale events one throws dieting out the window by indulging in stuff that makes you, well, fat.



Even though I am out of control when it comes to buying shoes I have to say, STILL, I haven't had a donut since May 2010.



I've actually had donut dreams.



Just picture the board game "candy land" but of just donuts.



(And shoe dreams too. Don't ask)



Oh yeah, I eat, but I think I figured out the "key" to this whole "keeping the weight off "diet part.



My "secret" is eating lots and lots of fruits and vegetables, cooking meals from scratch and trying to stay away from any pre-made foods.



When I shop for food I STILL read the labels.



You would be amazed at what is "filled in" on some items you would think is pure and simple. EVERYTHING has corn syrup in it. I mean just about everything. I went to buy bran flakes because I found a new scone recipe. Every box of bran flakes or sticks had high fructose corn syrup as the second ingredient. Can you believe it? That shit is in friggin' simple bran flakes!



Buying a pre-made item that doesn't have high fructose corn syrup in it is like trying to find clothing not made in China!



There are some things I can't avoid having this corn syrup shit in it like fat-free creamer and I know this is REALLY BAD..but, cool whip.



Cool whip is really pretty gross if you read the ingredients but it tastes sooooo good.



Anyways, I have a bunch of really good cookbooks such as Jamie Oliver's cookbook, Wilson's farm cookbook (Wilson farm is a local farm that I have been going to since I was a little kid), weight watchers cookbook, fat free international cookbooks, and a collaboration of healthy recipes I've cut out of the local newspaper.



Losing weight is hard but keeping it off is harder. I found the only way to keep it of is to continually prepare your weekly menu and then to cook the damn food. I know this is difficult, and may be impossible for people who work long hours.



I did find two cook-books with simple low cal recipes that use a lot of same ingredients which makes it easier to grocery shop for.



One book is "eat this not that". This book has a great restaurant guide for those who can't prepare food every night. This book also has some simple recipes in it too.



Another gem of a book is the "hungry girl" guides. They have simple low cal recipes. I think this book is decent book to kick start a weight watchers program. Even though I think it is a good book it doesn't really work for me because I don't use sugar substitutes as most of recipes call for. I did like the idea that most of the recipes in it were 300calories or less so that is why I think it is a perfect to at least start a new diet plan especially for people who work long hours.



I just got a "free coffee because it is your birthday" coupon from dunkin donuts in the mail today.



I'll get the coffee and then just stare at the donuts.

2 comments:

  1. Great punch line, V. You have tremendous will (or should I say "won't") power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Belated Birthday, V. Mine was Sunday. I forgot that out B-Days were so close together. PS...My husband bought me a birthday doughnut. I ate it.

    ReplyDelete