Thursday, September 8, 2011

the wild pigeons of salisbury beach part 36



I recieved some of the test results from the vet in regard to Craow Dum's health.



As of today, he just has giardia. His blood work came up OK. I am just waiting for the test results for chlamydiosis which I will know the results sometime next week..



Hopefully he will not have it.

It's kind of a nasty bacteria but it can be treated with a month long treatment of antibotics. Most pigeons carry it.



I've been able to trick him into getting his flagyl down his throat. When he gobbles his food out of a bottle in the morning he leaves a space of his mouth open. That is the time I drop the meds down his throat.

It works!



I've added the Harrison's mash (powder) to his food which is a highly nutritional mix. So far, he is drinking water from his deep dish rather than the bottle.. This is a very good sign.



He is very eager to flap his wings. I know I will find him some day sitting on the cabinet. As time progresses, as he is growing and getting healthy I will set a pigeon cote for him. He can not stay in a small aquarium for much longer. I use this solely for rehabbing him.



I just found a pigeon fanciers chat-line online so I think that will prove helpful. So far, on what I've read on this chat-line, people are sympathic towards pigeons rather than thinking they are just used a racing pigeons, or regarded as pests.



This little bird has absorbed alot of my energy and time. I think he is going to be OK. Last night, I spent quality time with my other birds. They have been acting up since they were not getting their usual attention. They need to know that they are still the top birds!

2 comments:

  1. That's great news V. Very encouraging. You're like Dr.Quinn... only for animals. I guess that would make you Dr. Doolittle. Either way, you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your care and attention to this little bird is amazing, V. You deserve a blue ribbon for your efforts.

    ReplyDelete