Sunday, September 25, 2011

dive #842 & 843 September 25 2011



Dive # 842 & 843 September 25 2011



We had some serious fog roll into our area-especially up by the Seabrook area.



I wasn't sure if Gloucester was 'going to be fogged out".



Luckily, it wasn't so foggy down at the Cape Ann marina so were able to venture out to do some end of the season diving.



Fred, Chris, Pat and Pete were running the show. We had Larient (finally back from Tunisa), Linda, Myanna and Alex.



As Alex was setting up his gear he did 'something' to his back forcing him to stay topside.



He looked like he was in a pain.



Thankfully, it turned out to an "Indian summer' day so at least he got to get to soak in a little sunshine rather than enduring an Autumn chill.






Dive # 842 Kettle Island



We dive Kettle island alot but for some reason, today it seemed like a new exciting place with all it's boulders and mini caves.



(Ah yes, I just had another birthday so perhaps this is a sign of my aging memory not remembering this area's UW topography. (!?))



No matter.



I had fun checking out the "cunner conventions" in all the nooks and crannies.



Larient was a happy camper between finding giant lobsters and taking photographs.



Water temp was 58F with a viz at about 10-15 feet. The closer you were to the shore line the better the viz. I felt warm in my dry suit so I really wanted to go for a second dive in spite of my now rapidly expanding bladder.






Dive # 843 egg rock



I didn't want to miss out on an adventure.



On this dive, I used only about 1000psi using the little black AL tank (I can use the rest of the air next week) I saw tons of huge cunners, some big lobsters , a skate and lots of little fish. Some parts of this dive reminded me of the Florida keys. Unfortunately I had to cut this dive short because...well....I really had to use the loo.



That is the disadvantage of using a dry suit. Enough said.


Chris and I noticed these "new" ducks in the area. They were black with a puzzle-piece shaped white spot on their back. Some of these ducks had a powdery grey spot on their heads as well. Pete thought they might be harlequin ducks. I think they are ring-necked ducks because of that unusual puzzle-piece white pattern on their backs. I wish I could see their eyes or the shape of their tails up close to be sure in identification.



We got back at a reasonable time so Fred and Chris could attend a local dive club's BBQ event nearby.



Yes, today was like finding a large chocolate chip cookie hiding in a a fold of that seemly empty cookie bag .



3 comments:

  1. Super commentary, V. It's great to read someone else's perceptions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris! I always welcome your comments. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the perfect New England day. I love that weather...and chocolate chip cookies!

    ReplyDelete